News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transparent Overdrive

Started by Hexjibber, January 26, 2014, 05:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I agree with everyone else; that is one gnarly etch.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Jabulani Jonny

So what do you search to turn up art work like this? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

GrindCustoms

That is beautiful!!! :o

But! Does it have that card table toanz?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

m-Kresol

Kudos, well done sir! Looks amazing
Just so that I know how this works... Print n peel transfer, then etching with NaOH and paint in the end. How does one manage to not get the paint across the non etched parts?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Hexjibber, This is stunning. I love your etches, they are so CLEAN. You are an inspiration man.

muddyfox

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 26, 2014, 02:27:51 PM
How does one manage to not get the paint across the non etched parts?

You do get it all over the top. Then you lightly sand it and since the etch is recessed, the paint only sands off the raised parts, leaving the rest untouched.

Hexjibber

Thanks for the compliments guys, much appreciated!

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 26, 2014, 01:57:39 PM
So what do you search to turn up art work like this? 

To be honest I can't really remember with this one, I think I might have been searching for something skull related initially! I end up going from place to place a lot of the time, just looking for the sort of thing that will translate well into Illustrator, it's kind of one of those things where you know it when you see it that it will work.

Guitarmageddon

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Hexjibber

Ok well this is embarrassing, I took the pics of this pedal before I'd actually plugged it in and when I eventually did I found that it isn't working!

I've checked everything I can think of but no dice so I'm turning to you guys for help! I've checked all my diode, electro cap and IC orientations and checked them again! Do dip switches need to be orientated a certain way, I presumed not as they are just on/off?

I got the audio probe out and I'm not getting any signal at the input jack when the effect is engaged so presumably it's being grounded somehow? I pulled the board out of the box and still nothing so it can't be that shorting it. I can't see anything else that would be causing a short, does anyone have any suggestions, I'm completely flummoxed! :S

micromegas

I don't think the dip switch is the problem, even if it wasn't working, you should have signal as they are used for the clipping section only.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

micromegas

wait, you say you have no signal at the input? only when the pedal is on?

Hexjibber

Yes, it comes through fine when bypassed and the audio probe is on the input jack.

micromegas

I would begin by checking continuity between the IN pad and gnd, and then between the IN pad and the leads from the 2M2 and 510K resistors that are soldered to gnd (it seems that those are the pads at the left).

Could it be the GAIN pot the one that is shorting this resistors and therefore grounding your input signal?

lincolnic

It could also be a cold solder joint on one of your ground connections at the switch, or the jack sleeve. Try reflowing those too, maybe adding a little more solder if needed. This happened on two builds of mine.

Hexjibber

Quote from: micromegas on February 01, 2014, 10:31:49 AM
I would begin by checking continuity between the IN pad and gnd, and then between the IN pad and the leads from the 2M2 and 510K resistors that are soldered to gnd (it seems that those are the pads at the left).

Could it be the GAIN pot the one that is shorting this resistors and therefore grounding your input signal?

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked this and have continuity between input pad and ground pad, input pad and 2M2 but nothing between input and 510K. Continuity starts again between the 510K and pin 3 of the IC. I tried reflowing the solder on pads of the 510K but still nothing. I just can't seem to see where the input would be grounded via a short?

Never had an issue like this before but it feels like something is staring me in the face and I can't see it!

Any ideas on how I could test for whether something is shorting?