News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seriously odd

Started by thatirishsob, March 11, 2011, 08:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatirishsob

So I finally got around to finishing up my Sunking and things sounded great until I started turning knobs. The Vol works exactly as I would expect it too but the Gain and Tone both act as volume controls along with their designated functions. What I mean is that when the Gain is turned all the way down it's nice and clean but there is also very little volume, gain goes up and the volume increases right along with it! And not just a slight volume increase but a major volume change. It's the same with the Tone control, all the way to the left it's all bass but almost no volume and to the right it's boosting my amp into clipping. In all my years of building pedal I have never come across anything like this so hopefully you, my brilliant peers, will be able to help me come up with a solution. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

gtr2

If you don't mind could you read the sticky for requesting tech help and format it accordingly.  It will help to get your build up and running properly.  Pics are also really helpful!

Best of luck!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Something is a little amiss there. It's normal to have some increase in volume with added gain, but it should not behave like an actual volume knob. Same with the tone knob.  I mean, there is always kind of a psycho-acoustic effect of having a reduction in treble correspond with a perception of decreased volume (or something like that) but what you are describing sounds more severe.

thatirishsob

Sorry about that guys, I went through part by part and had found a couple incorrect caps. One of them was obviously the problem for the Tone because after it works as expected. However the Gain is still acting the same. With the gain all the way down and the vol set to unity I am getting a 7 Db increase in volume with the gain all the way up. However a friend of a friend has a real Klon and says he's getting about 6 Db so I guess it can be normal. I'm going to be building another one so we will see if it behaves the same way.