News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how the heck do you guys organize all this stuff?

Started by danwelsh, January 28, 2014, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayford

I'll second Leevibe's HF storage Bins. I use a couple of 41 Drawer Units a couple of Storage Flats from Harbor Freight and a couple of Stack-On 36 Drawer Units from Lowes. I like the Stack-On ones as they're a little sturdier, but for the price I have a VERY hard time justifying the extra $5 over the HF ones, especially since they aren't the nice hard crystal clear plastic like they show in the pictures. They now come with the milky flexible plastic, just like the ones from HF. I do like the larger drawers at the bottom of them for housing projects that are in progress, upcoming PCB's to populate, switches, or a stash of premade boards. Since I had to purchase a bunch of 1/8w size components , I will be getting another pair of the 41 Drawer units form HF and one of these 18 Drawer Units since it is all large drawers. Condense all of the large drawers into one unit and recycle the Stack-On's to the wife for her Craft materials.  Least I can do since she handed down her rotary tool to me when she got a new Dremel kit for the holidays. 
I have some NDA work on the bench right now that precludes me from snapping a shot of it. These will give you an idea
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

raulduke

Yep I use storage bins too, just like the ones above. Really, really worth the investment.

Beedoola

I should get some bins/tray pull outs for switches and stuff like that.

I do as Davent does using a partitioned box for resistors/caps:

bcalla

I'd like to take a slight turn here, but still related to your organization techniques.  How do you keep track of what you have?  Does anyone use software to manage their inventory?  If so, what?

Leevibe

Every drawer is labeled and transparent so it's easy to see what is/isn't inside. 

agoldoor

Quote from: SmoothAction on January 28, 2014, 02:44:45 PM
I read on diysb that one dude uses three ring binders with plastic sport card inserts. My old Pokemon and baseball card binders are going to be converted to holding resistors, caps, trannies and diodes on my next order. Just gotta label them.

When I first started out, I did exactly that, until the first time I picked up the binder upside down and it all went everywhere. But then I eventually grew out of the binders anyhow. So my only advise would be to watch which side is up ;-)

blackedition

Quote from: Clayford on February 05, 2014, 07:32:36 PM
I'll second Leevibe's HF storage Bins. I use a couple of 41 Drawer Units a couple of Storage Flats from Harbor Freight and a couple of Stack-On 36 Drawer Units from Lowes. I like the Stack-On ones as they're a little sturdier, but for the price I have a VERY hard time justifying the extra $5 over the HF ones, especially since they aren't the nice hard crystal clear plastic like they show in the pictures. They now come with the milky flexible plastic, just like the ones from HF. I do like the larger drawers at the bottom of them for housing projects that are in progress, upcoming PCB's to populate, switches, or a stash of premade boards. Since I had to purchase a bunch of 1/8w size components , I will be getting another pair of the 41 Drawer units form HF and one of these 18 Drawer Units since it is all large drawers. Condense all of the large drawers into one unit and recycle the Stack-On's to the wife for her Craft materials.  Least I can do since she handed down her rotary tool to me when she got a new Dremel kit for the holidays. 
I have some NDA work on the bench right now that precludes me from snapping a shot of it. These will give you an idea

How is the quality on the harbor freight rack?  I was reading reviews on their site and got a little concerned by some of the negative reviews. ..  I figure, they're drawers...they can't be that bad: )

Leevibe

The 40 drawer cabinet is pretty typical HF low quality.  I find them entirely adequate for sorting duty though.

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: bcalla on February 06, 2014, 02:51:43 PM
I'd like to take a slight turn here, but still related to your organization techniques.  How do you keep track of what you have?  Does anyone use software to manage their inventory?  If so, what?

Yep, Excel.  I try to keep a running spreadsheet of what I have, what the various projects I'm working on need, etc.  It's kind of a pain, but it helps to make sure I don't get to the end of a build and am missing a component.  Well, most times any way.   ;D
Jonathan

zilla

I tend to keep a LEAN manufacturing strategy for my components. I have the odd pot, cap, and resistor on hand, but I usually order what I need when I have a build.

rullywowr

If I order something I don't have, I get a good qty of it. If I'm low, I order more. It's like stocking a kitchen with ingredients. If you have all the ingredients on hand, you can make anything you want.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Clayford

Quote from: Leevibe on February 06, 2014, 03:49:11 PM
The 40 drawer cabinet is pretty typical HF low quality.  I find them entirely adequate for sorting duty though.
Yup they're drawers. They work for a single value of a component. You can label the drawers if you're careful, and even get a second oddball value if you use a baggie. If I were making a living - I wouldn't use them. I'd get the Arko Mils 64 and the complimentary types you find on the page.

Quote from: rullywowr on February 06, 2014, 06:03:48 PM
If I order something I don't have, I get a good qty of it. If I'm low, I order more. It's like stocking a kitchen with ingredients. If you have all the ingredients on hand, you can make anything you want.
Agreed - 5 bucks for $25 of a cap or 12 for $100. If it's a standard value - I bulk it out as I need it. I'm set on 100n's between my MLC's and the ECQ-V's I got from Chromosphere. If it's an odd ball I'll order 10 for the break and call it a day.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded