News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I am an idiot

Started by billstein, January 28, 2014, 08:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Just finished soldering up my Sharkfin. Put the IC's in so I could rock it before I box it. Plugged in the guitar and nothing. That of course is followed by the usual moment of depression. I mean, who wants to trouble shoot a Sharkfin. Am I right guys? Then, as usual I'm confronted with my own stupidity... A sharkfin won't work when you forget to put ALL SIX transistors in. It's touchy like that.

Put those bad boys in and it fired right up. I'm a happy boy again.

Build report soon. Gotta finish the box now.

selfdestroyer

Been there, done that... You are definitely not alone. I love when I build a Rat and forget to plug in the IC. Dont that one twice. Most of it is from building after 2:00am. lol

alanp

Did that with the Ring Stinger. Put all the ICs in... except for the VCO's quad opamp. I don't think much happened without it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

I find it funnier when I plug the guitar cables around the wrong way (in -> out and out -> in) :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

dondougie

I know that feeling ::)
My first build was a ZenDrive kit a couple of years ago, with no soldering experience whatsoever. I was extra careful and made sure to follow the instructions to a T, but when I plugged it in - nothing. The following half hour or so was devastating, I checked everything and couldn't find a single mistake. Just when I was about to throw everything into the trash and give up building pedals for good, I found the IC sitting on my desk - put it in and of course it worked perfectly.
Now that I think of it, the feeling of joy after all that depression is priceless ;D Who knew that building pedals would be an emotional roller coaster ;D

Gledison

hahaha, This is funny!
i forgot once to plug the Ispot on the electricity...after almost opening everything, i found the issue :P
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

jimilee

Ha ha ha, I did that on....well...all of my builds usually go from no IC's to trannies to power to guitar not even plugged in.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

Done that plenty of times. Did it last week, as a matter of fact.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Gledison

Quote from: jimilee on January 29, 2014, 07:12:36 AM
Ha ha ha, I did that on....well...all of my builds usually go from no IC's to trannies to power to guitar not even plugged in.
maaaaaaan! i know its nice to build pedals with a beer or a glass of wine...but not several bottles!!!!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

micromegas

I once pluged the pedal wrong: guitar to the output and amp to the input, half an hour until I found the issue...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

icecycle66

It makes me happier than it should when other people make the same stupid mistakes I've made.

I've check ICs two or three times before I realize that I'm looking at an empty socket.

I'M NOT ALONE!

DutchMF

I have only one thing to add: ME TOO!!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

stevie1556

Everytime I plug a new pedal in, I forget to do something. Transistor or IC not in sockets, either end of cables not plugged it, amp not switched on, or my personal favourite, after a few drinks, I plugged the guitar into the amp, then plugged a cable from the input of the pedal to the output of the pedal, and wondered why it didn't work for about half an hour.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

electrosonic

It is a drag when a pedal doesn't work first time, but I find I actually learn much more when I have to troubleshoot it and think about how it works.

I find with experience I still make dumb mistakes, but I can find the errors quicker now.

Andrew.

jkokura

I love it when I plug everything in correctly, but forget to turn on the amp.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals