News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Radio Shack love?

Started by Leevibe, January 28, 2014, 11:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, but does anybody else have any items they only buy from Radio Shack?  I love the 62/36/2 .022" solder.  I also use their 5mm snap in LED bezels a lot.  They look like the ones I've bought at SB but they're actually better.  No joke!

Those are pretty much my only non-emergency buys there.

billstein

I buy the Ferric Chloride from there.

Leevibe

Quote from: billstein on January 28, 2014, 11:34:13 PM
I buy the Ferric Chloride from there.

Oops.  Forgot the etchant.  Me too.  Ok, and sometimes diodes.  Wow.  I buy more there than I thought.

alanp

It's not radioshack, but solder is the only thing I buy from B&M shops when I can. 63/37 stuff. (My figuring is that it weighs enough to cost more for shipping, so the B&M markup is probably worth it.)

That, and oh-crap I-need-ONE-friggin'-resistor-for-this-Lovetone-build moments.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

I buy a lot of the boss style knobs from radio shack as well as their dpdt switches on occasion. Oh yeah, and I've never bought solder or etchant anywhere else.  ;D  FYI, Frys Electronics also has some emergency supplies including Hammond enclosures for a decent price...

Leevibe

Quote from: Stomptown on January 29, 2014, 12:31:20 AM
Frys Electronics also has some emergency supplies including Hammond enclosures for a decent price...

Frys is great for hammonds.  They have other cool enclosures too. 

atreidesheir

etchant and solder and iron tips but the tips are not very good.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

gtr2

I buy the 4mm red LED's mounted in the chrome LED bezels.  My favorite.  Not to big, not to small, and the quality is really good.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

irmcdermott

I buy solder and braid from there. Heatshrink in a bind.

culturejam

I dig their 4-conductor ribbon cable/wire. It's not the greatest, but it makes wiring a pot super-fast, and the wires are relatively easy to separate to make 2- and 3-conductor cables as needed.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

Soldier and etchant for me. Mainly because its just convenient. Seeing the prices of CC resistors there always make me cringe but if I HAVE to I will get a few components. Most of the time I can get a Mouser order in 2 days so I will just wait for that.

lincolnic

I've never bought solder anywhere else, and I still use my Helping Hands for certain things too.

jimilee

+1 for solder, and I spent way too much last weekend on 3mm LEDs for my game of tone build.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

whitebread47

Quote from: Stomptown on January 29, 2014, 12:31:20 AM
I buy a lot of the boss style knobs from radio shack as well as their dpdt switches on occasion. Oh yeah, and I've never bought solder or etchant anywhere else.  ;D  FYI, Frys Electronics also has some emergency supplies including Hammond enclosures for a decent price...

I buy the big boss type knobs there all the time.  The price difference on those isn't as big as it is with components.  I went by there today for some emergency resistors.....turns out 12k is too obscure a value for them to carry, so more teepee'ing it is.  :(

I wish we'd get a Fry's here.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Leevibe

Are you listening RS???  Seriously, how do they make money?