News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opamp Big Muff?

Started by the3secondrule, March 13, 2011, 03:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

how bout it Bean? this sounds like one of those effects that's either loved or hated. me, I'd be interested in building one if a PCB was available for it  ;D

apparently the secret to the Corgan's siamese dream tone?

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

madbean

Actually, guitarpcb already has one, I think. Which isn't to say that I won't do one. Actually, I've never built the op-amp amp Muff before! I can take a look at it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I too need to build one of these for an overall palate of muff.  ;D
There is also lots of DIY layouts. Let me know if you interested, I believe i have more than one i can send you. Something to do until Bean gets one going!!! :)

Quote from: the3secondrule on March 13, 2011, 03:05:24 AM
apparently the secret to the Corgan's siamese dream tone?

I thought that was creamy dreamer mod??
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

Corgan actually never used the Creamy Dreamer. There's a really informative thread about it on DIYSB.

maysink

Just a quick note: the opamp BMP from guitarpcb.com = great pedal!
[nothing to see here]
-e

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: madbean on March 13, 2011, 10:54:28 AM
Corgan actually never used the Creamy Dreamer. There's a really informative thread about it on DIYSB.

Oh cool. I'll look for it. Big muffs rule!

jtn191

I had a question about opamp big muffs recently:

I saw a DIY opamp muff on youtube and it had a TON of sustain...like 15 seconds. Not sure how much of that was acoustic feedback--do opamp muffs have a bunch of sustain?

jkokura

I don't know particularly, but the Muff is a very durable circuit. It's amazing to me all the variation in parts that EHX has used, all the different sources and even nations that the circuits originate from, and they STILL sound and act like a Muff. There are more variations of this than any other single pedal and they all sound somewhat similar. It's also amazing that a primarily transistor based circuit can be replicated using an IC. It's unreal.

About the Billy Corgan thing... I'm not sure, but I've heard online demos of the IC based Muff that most closely resemble the Pumpkin's albums of the early-mid 90's to me. I don't know what Corgan used, but I know that using an IC Muff you can get that 'tone.' I built a Ram's head, and I can't quite get that tone easily, but I certainly can cop some Gilmour.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

the3secondrule

Quote from: madbean on March 13, 2011, 06:00:27 AM
Actually, guitarpcb already has one, I think. Which isn't to say that I won't do one. Actually, I've never built the op-amp amp Muff before! I can take a look at it.

Cool, thanks for the tip-off  ;D

For some reason I thought their prices were much steeper, might have to give this one a blast

J

madbean

I'll probably do something for this.

modernage

I have one of these boards from guitarpcb that is waiting to be boxed up. Barry makes some quality stuff. Sometimes it might be a little higher priced than the 'bean, but he's always having sales or special offers which makes up for it. Last time I ordered I got like 3-4 boards for free!

madbean

I think my version will be a bit smaller. 2" across to fit more easily in a 1590B.

Actually...the layout is already finished  :-X

bigmufffuzzwizz

Nice that was quick Bean! It would be super cool if we could add a tone bypass switch into it! I believe it's a pretty simple mod. ;D

the3secondrule

Quote from: madbean on March 14, 2011, 09:45:52 AM
I think my version will be a bit smaller. 2" across to fit more easily in a 1590B.

Actually...the layout is already finished  :-X

In that case I'll hold off on ordering from guitarpcb.

looking forward to this one  ;D

eniacmike

I built one on vero and it has a very different muff flavor. I think it has less sustain than most other muffs actually. the key is running it into an already distorting high gain amp.

I also found you have to use the right op amps uA 741 for ic1 was neccessary to get the right sound out of it for me. I tried other subs but it didn't sound right until I put the right op amp in. I think I used a jrc4558d for ic2