News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

About installing a Bigsby….

Started by Kinki fuzz, January 30, 2014, 01:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinki fuzz

Hi,

I woke up today with the vision of a bigsby in one of my guitars. Yeah, don´t ask questions.

I wonder what changes should I expect  -apart from the obvious aesthetic and functionality of the bigsby- from this mod in a guitar. I mean, how can this affect the tone of the guitar (sustain or whatever), or is there other side effects to consider?.

The guitar is a Epiphone Wilshire and I think I will  use a B50.

Cortexturizer

Consider this before doing anything rash :D The thing about a vision cracked me hahah, awesome
http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5.php
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

raulduke

Quote from: Cortexturizer on January 30, 2014, 01:58:15 AM
Consider this before doing anything rash :D The thing about a vision cracked me hahah, awesome
http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5.php

Agreed. I got one for my Tele and it works superbly.

Bigsbie's are the nicest trem I have tried (if you are after vibrato rather than Dive Bomb's).

In terms of changes in tone, I can't say there is a massive difference. The sustain etc. on my Tele sounds just the same to my ears.

The main change in tone is that you'll be wangling the Bigsby all the time  ;)!

Kinki fuzz

Ok, that's a green light then, I guess. I don't care much about making holes to my guitar, but the vibramate seems a smart move so I can undo the changes and forget about this bad dream if I'm not happy.

About the vision, haha, seriously, I was driving to my workplace and the idea popped up as it had been there all the time, making perfect sense, amazing how the brain works. I'll let it flow... lucky I didn't dream with a floyd-rose (I don't even know if I write it properly...)

Leevibe

I put a B5 on my Agile AD2300 using a vibramate plate.  I wanted to add as much weight as possible because the guitar was way too neck heavy and would hang well on a strap.  The bigsby helped with that and the vibramate is an awesome way to install it risk-free UNLESS your not-so-expensive guitar is neck heavy because it was built using a punky piece of mahogany.  String tension caused the end of the bigsby to lift off the body really badly because it was so soft where the tailpiece bushings were.  I ended up drilling out the two machine screw holes by the bigsby logo and ran wood screws in. 

None of that was the fault of the bigsby or the vibraplate though, and I'm sure I wouldn't ever want to remove it anyway. 

The coolest thing for me about the bigs is what it does for delay trails.  It's addicting!  Beautiful modulated sounds that you get to control real-time.  Oh yeah, and my guitar hangs better on a strap now.  More sustain?  Maybe?

raulduke

Quote from: Leevibe on January 30, 2014, 06:24:36 AM
The coolest thing for me about the bigs is what it does for delay trails.  It's addicting!  Beautiful modulated sounds that you get to control real-time.  Oh yeah, and my guitar hangs better on a strap now.  More sustain?  Maybe?

Yep... a bit of bigsby sounds awesome with delay+reverb

I've also kinda got the hang of pressing down the arm, playing a chord, and letting the pitch come up.

Done properly it adds a near pedal steel sound (to my ears anyhow).

In short. They are awesome.

jkokura

I use a Bigsby on my Epi Dot, and I have it installed using a Vibramate. Works well.

I love the sound of Bigsbys. I have a Schaller vintage roller trem on my strat that I like as well, but the Bigsby has a special quality.

Lots of people dislike them, and I chock it up to user error mostly. There is a tone difference if you're modding a guitar, but most people who want them will deal with the differences in order to have the Bigsby sound.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Tremster

I love me some Bigsby, I can't use Strat-style tremolos anymore.

But:
I don't use Bigsby-Bigsbys. The arm is not adjustable, the stupid pins get on my nerves etc.
Here in Germany, Duesenberg parts are cheaper than original Bigsbys, so I use these
http://rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&lang=ENG&product=3625C%2F3625A%2F3625G
http://rockinger.com/index.php?lang=ENG&list=WG073
http://rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG073&lang=ENG&product=3628C&sid3=5f85be805f7c046622b1febf2ebb9a92 (Duesenberg version of Vibramate)

Leevibe

Quote from: Kinki fuzz on January 30, 2014, 01:44:49 AM
or is there other side effects to consider?

Staying in tune can feel like an adventure.  But it really hasn't been bad for me.  You develop a feel for zeroing it back to being in tune.  Some say bigsbys are terribly finicky that way.  I think it depends on your ear and probably your guitar's setup.  The nut slot on my b string grabs a bit, so when I zero it, I listen for the pop and then give it that last little tug.  It's just something I'm used to and it truly is no big deal. 

Clayford

I second the Vibramate suggestion. With a Vibramate you can NOT use an import/licesnsed Bigsby (B50/B70), the holes are in different places. Vibramate intentionally does not offer them for imports. I'd like to think they have a good reason behind it, since it'd be so easy to move some screw holes and produce the additional product.

I used a Vibramate B5 (Yes a B5!) on my LP Ultra III and haven't regretted it. Contrary to popular mythos - I experienced additional desirable tone, increased sustain, and no have no tuning issues after installing my Bigsby. I also installed a brass roller bridge vs the stock zinc bridge, installed locking locking tuners, and occasionally lubricate my nut with some Dr.Duck's. I will suggest doing the same if you decide to take the bigsby plunge, as I can use mine and return to pitch without fail. Stewmac and Guitarfetish both sell the roller bridge i reccomend. I've purchased from both and they ship the exact same part, a Wilkinson Brass Rollerbridge. The posts will screw right into your existing bushings on the Wilshire. I only suggest ordering it from StewMac if you're already ordering something from them, it's about $10 cheaper from GuitarFetish. You may curse stringing, I'll suggest a stringray vs the spoiler if you decide to get a tool to assist. There is also the Callaham part that makes the string roller a string through.

The cost between a B5 and a B50 is less than $20. I don't suggest cheaping on the B5 vs the B50 for the small cost savings. That little extra gets a USA made part, better overall construction, handmade vs die cast, and compatibility with aftermarket products. The ease of reselling a guitar can will go down with a Bigsby installed (often you'll not get the money back from the investment). You may also find you just don't like it. If you've drilled - you're screwed (pardon the pun). Another reason for my seconding of the Vibramate suggestion. It's a $50 installation tool that will pay for itself in saved time alone. I took 10 min over a string change to install it. It includes both Metric and STD screws for your bushings so you're covered there. If you decide you like it, and really, really, want to... you can remove the vibramate and drill. If you decide you don't like it - you can remove the entire kit from your guitar and return everything with zero damage to your guitar.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Leevibe

Has the eye candy factor been mentioned yet?

Plus, this thing was engineered in an era when everything ran on tubes and Spitfires & P51's were current technology. 

raulduke

Thanks for the link to the duesenberg parts Tremster. I didn't realise they were bigsby compatible.

spaceboss

One more vote of confidence for going the vibramate route. It's good stuff.

Tremster

Quote from: raulduke on January 30, 2014, 09:57:49 AM
Thanks for the link to the duesenberg parts Tremster. I didn't realise they were bigsby compatible.
I read somewhere that the original Vibramate and the Duesenberg thingy are not interchangeable, as well as other parts on the two systems, because of metric vs. inch, but the actual mounting holes are in the exact same spot. I think.

Kinki fuzz

Wow mates that's a lo of feedback and info to consider, thanks.
About the B5 vs B50, I said B50 because in a quick search I found the B5 at 150€ in the chapest place and B50s at 80€ (I'm located in Spain by the way), and I thought there was not big different between them (this is a 215€ guitar after all, this the reissue, not the real thing), but I see now that apart from hole measures, there's difference enough to justify the extra cost. In the other hand, with a more relaxed mind today I'm also thinking if it makes sense to make a mod that costs almost as much as the guitar (B5+ vibramate will be around 200)...

I could as well search for a used B5. Searching stuff is someti9mes as fun as using it, this is the world in which we live!