News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need boost recommendation

Started by PhiloB, January 30, 2014, 08:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I picked up a Biyang RV-8 reverb unit for $20.  The spring reverb in the 'b' setting really sounds nice.  Problem is there is a significant (to my ears) drop in volume.  I was thinking of adding a simple clean boost with trim pot to set it and forget it to get the volume to unity. 
Any recommendations?

jimilee

Lpb1 on vero is about as simple as they get.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

LPB1 is solid.  SHO is great also.  I have a open-source layout for SHO you can order from OSHpark for about $3.00 for 3 fabbed boards.  You could use a 5k trimmer in place of the pot by wiring it in...the PCBs are pretty tiny.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12213.msg110422#msg110422

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Haberdasher

hard to beat an lpb-1 for makeup vol
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

lars

Second, third, and fourth those assessments. Only other suggestion would be maybe an mxr micro amp circuit. Seems most people go with either the LPB-1 or the micro amp when boost is needed.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

jkokura

I think the BYOC confidence boost is precisely what it is.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Leevibe

LPB1 is great but it will thicken your tone (aka suck treble) if you don't have a buffer in front of it.

jimilee

Quote from: jkokura on January 30, 2014, 09:13:20 PM

Jacob
Got one of them too!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Quote from: jkokura on January 30, 2014, 09:13:20 PM

Jacob

I haven't built this, but judging by the schematic it looks like it would be good for your application.

PhiloB

I have a confidence boost boxed up and it sounds great with the reverb to bring the volume up.  I may do the vero LPB 1, if I don't like the results I can take the confidence out of it's box and put it in the reverb.
Thanks guys.

jimilee

Quote from: PhiloB on January 30, 2014, 09:49:35 PM
I have a confidence boost boxed up and it sounds great with the reverb to bring the volume up.  I may do the vero LPB 1, if I don't like the results I can take the confidence out of it's box and put it in the reverb.
Thanks guys.
You're all grown up! Seems like just yesterday we were walking you through your first build! :-D

flanagan0718

I'm a fan of the AMZ mini boost. Also another for LPB!

PhiloB

Yes Jimmy.  You and TNBluesHawk were very kind and patient.  Wouldn't say I was all grown up though;)

Here is what I've settled on for now incase:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/01/electro-harmonix-lpb1-with-trimmer.html

Just need to order the parts. 

jimilee

Quote from: PhiloB on January 31, 2014, 10:41:57 AM
Yes Jimmy.  You and TNBluesHawk were very kind and patient.  Wouldn't say I was all grown up though;)

Here is what I've settled on for now incase:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/01/electro-harmonix-lpb1-with-trimmer.html

Just need to order the parts.
:-D

aballen