News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which Iron?

Started by Leevibe, January 30, 2014, 09:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Which iron:

- did you use on your first pedal build?  First circuit?

- is your current workhorse?

- are you hoping to get next?

OK, here's mine:

- 1st iron:  RS cheapie - GGG TS808
- Current workhorse:  Xytronic 379
- Want to get:  Xytronic 168-3CD

alanp

1st iron: Dick Smith 40W pencil cheapie
Current workhorse: Dick Smith 40W pencil cheapie
Want to get: Dick Smith 40W pencil cheapie (I have a second one stashed in case the first one breaks.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

AntKnee

I'm still using whatever cheap iron came with my beginner setup from BYOC. If I could go back, I wouldn't have gotten that kit. The tools suck, they're all from Harbor Freight, apparently. The strippers they sent are definitely a joke! Fortunately, the iron isn't bad and I like it. I have no plans to replace it.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

flanagan0718

I use this guy. My wife's sister "borrowed" it form the robotics lab at her collage. It is my current workhorse. Think i might need to replace the tip soon tho. I did use it for my first build, GGG tuned Big Muff

culturejam

First: RadioShack POS iron
Then: Xytronic 379
Current: Hakko 888
Want: Big ole Hakko station with pencil and SMD tweezers/rework
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

First was something like this...well maybe not that old but you get the idea:   :P

Instruction Manual:
http://www.stevenjohnson.com/soldering/data/american-beauty-flier-8-47.pdf

Current is Weller WESD51 station and Hakko 472D desoldering station (very happy with these):

For a future iron...not really a need (as I am satisfied with my current setup) but a Metcal or a Hakko would be cool.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Quote from: rullywowr on January 31, 2014, 08:08:58 AM
Future iron...not really a need (as I am satisfied with my current setup) but a Metcal or a Hakko would be cool.

Whoa. Does that thing solder AND desolder all in one? If it does, I'm in love.  ;D

rullywowr

Quote from: culturejam on January 31, 2014, 08:10:52 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on January 31, 2014, 08:08:58 AM
Future iron...not really a need (as I am satisfied with my current setup) but a Metcal or a Hakko would be cool.

Whoa. Does that thing solder AND desolder all in one? If it does, I'm in love.  ;D

You referring to the 472D?  Nah, it's just a desoldering pencil (model 807) however you can solder with it in a pinch if you had to.  It's one of my favorite pieces of gear I own, and I use it everytime I am building pedals or working on electronics.  Makes it a breeze to swap components, or unsolder pots, etc. 

culturejam

Quote from: rullywowr on January 31, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
Nah, it's just a desoldering pencil (model 808) however you can solder with it in a pinch if you had to. 
Ah, I see.

I have the Hakko 808 desoldering gun, and I also sometimes solder with it. It's also probably my favorite piece of gear.  :)

rullywowr

808's are sexy!  The 472D station can accept a similar "gun" style iron..the 817.

alanp

I've read too many warnings about soldering guns to feel comfortable using a soldering iron that resembles one. (Too early in the day, can't remember the specifics.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Before I built pedals I did a lot of gaming console mods and had to invest in a good iron.

Cheap Radio Shack kit iron - Bought when I first started tinkering with electronics when I was younger.
Weller WES51 - Bought when I started modding consoles. Temp gauge went out on it and I upgraded to the digital model.
Weller WESD51 - Now my current iron. Has been a workhorse for over 10 years.

Shrtyska9

First was a cheap radio shack pencil.

Used it to build the karate shop. Currently using my grandfather's Weller wtcp fixed temp station.

As for a new iron I'm not really hip to the new tech and am extremely happy with the Weller so anything comparable.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Richard

gtr2

Quote from: culturejam on January 31, 2014, 08:16:41 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on January 31, 2014, 08:14:16 AM
Nah, it's just a desoldering pencil (model 808) however you can solder with it in a pinch if you had to. 
Ah, I see.

I have the Hakko 808 desoldering gun, and I also sometimes solder with it. It's also probably my favorite piece of gear.  :)

It works well for soldering on old fender chassis too 8)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

DutchMF

- 1st iron:  No-name pencil from Banzai
- Current workhorse:  Antex TCS230 pencil
- Want to get:  Soldering station by either Weller or Hakko

The No-name served me very well for the first few builds, but decided to stop working all of a sudden. Imagine getting everything ready to build (tools, laptop, parts etc.) and then realizing your iron is not getting hot.... I still work on top of the washing machine, so I was really frustrated that I got everything out from the closet and then couldn't do anything because my iron remained cold!
The Antex is working really well. I haven't heard of anyone else using it, but I like it a lot, quality stuff! If we ever move from our appartment, our nest house will have a dedicated hobby space for both me and Mrs. Dutch, and then I'll get a nice, expensive, last-me-a-lifetime soldering station. Can't wait....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"