News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How has building affected your guitar playing

Started by billstein, January 31, 2014, 06:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artstomp

...i used to be a good guitar player back in high school and college years...cant afford to buy a lot of good pedals so i used to reverse engineer a BOSS DS1 and an Ibanez flanger...it was long ago before everyone else is cloning pedals...

..now i build pedals for my son who is now in college and playing in 2 bands...for now i can still play a BOSTON's "more than a feeling" intro...and some LED Zepp's riffs...woooah...happy building everyone!

Jabulani Jonny

I'm blessed on that I get play pretty much every Thursday night (practice) and Sunday morning. We have some very talented musicians and it makes it fun. I don't know that my playing has gotten better, but pedal building has definitely made me focus on the sonics of what I'm doing. I love the tone that I'm able to dial in now. I fall in love again every Sunday. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

Willybomb

Well, I teach guitar 8 hours a day for a living, so if anything, playing guitar impacts on pedal building time.

Seriously, I build pedals when I get a chance, but I'm too busy teaching E, A, and D to 6 year old kids to really want to sit down and improve my playing.  Need to get into a band or two.  Noodlely jam sessions don't do it for me, need more focus than that.

Pedalwise, got three multis to finish, one for bass (compressor, fuzz, eq), one for the guitar (delay, chorus, dirt, boost), and my  amp-in-a-box (buffer, vol, eq, cabsim, master vol) to go on the pedalbord.  I'll never get time to do those.

DutchMF

Playing hasn't gotten any better, but I do notice a difference in direction songwriting-wise. In the past, I would just aim for a good rif, drop it onto my bandmates and see where it went. Now I develope a lot more sounds, and also try to fit those in our existing songs. So, playing remains about the same (aka a little better than crappy, more attitude than technique), but creativity has improved a lot, because I still write those rifs, but have a new thing to add, texture!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"