News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How has building affected your guitar playing

Started by billstein, January 31, 2014, 06:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twin1965

Making pedals makes me want to play more guitar! I have a nice pedal board with some effects that I wouldn't be able to afford. There's nothing better than blasting away on my new creation. I stopped playing scales and trying to play like my heroes a long time ago. I write my own songs and just go by what sounds good to me. I now play solely for fun and I'm not worried about my level of technique.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

das234

Quote from: twin1965 on January 31, 2014, 07:32:26 PM
Making pedals makes me want to play more guitar! I have a nice pedal board with some effects that I wouldn't be able to afford. There's nothing better than blasting away on my new creation. I stopped playing scales and trying to play like my heroes a long time ago. I write my own songs and just go by what sounds good to me. I now play solely for fun and I'm not worried about my level of technique.

+1 to this.  I play for fun and it's more fun to play with a collection of magic boxes underfoot.

brucer

Quote from: das234 on January 31, 2014, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: twin1965 on January 31, 2014, 07:32:26 PM

+1 to this.  I play for fun and it's more fun to play with a collection of magic boxes underfoot.

Another big +1.  I'm 47, but I've only been playing guitar for a couple of years (and soldering way less than that).  Still a beginner to both guitar and pedal building, but the effects keep playing fun and sometimes even make my fumbling attempts at songs sound a little more like the original!  I usually make myself practice pretty regularly for 3-4 weeks (songs, techniques) as a motivator before picking up a pedal or ordering parts as well.  I've built 3 pedals since last September and collected parts for 3 more!

neve1272

recording and now pedal building has really almost killed my guitar playing

there is only so much time in a day ...that and constant interweb surfing about recording and pedal building :-[ :-[
Kip

GermanCdn

My playing is probably getting better, though not enough of it is happening.  Like any new piece of gear, everytime I plug in a new circuit, I come up with a new piece of music.  But really have to finish some ideas.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

I used to be in a band forever ago and never really liked playing out. I am more of a "lets play in the garage and just do it for fun" kind of person. Lately, the last 10 years, I really just play in my room by myself and I am very self conscious about my playing. I have a really hard time with recording demos for that reason. I am trying to get over it and play more with my father to try to get back to feeling comfortable playing with others... its just hard. But I will have to say, building a new pedal and "testing" it for 2 hours definitely helps my playing.

Cody

aballen

When I first started building it really hurt my practice time... As I became aware of that I cut down on build time, practice is more of a necessity for me... Since I kinda suck.

Building is done in my spare time... And as I get better playing I find I appreciate the pedals more because I'm able to get more out of them as my skill improves.

gordo

I think my playing has suffered due to lack of time but I play every Sunday with a great band and I've never really been a "lets jam dude" kind of player anyway.  I like to learn whole songs and have them sound as close as possible to the original, which kind of feeds the pedal fetish.  One thing that HAS changed is that I used to swap out pedals on my board all the time but I've used the same lineup for nearly a year now and it's really forced me to learn the pedals.  Its amazing how much more you can do once you REALLY understand not just a single pedal but how they all interact.

I've been using bike chain links as pedal mounts instead of velcro so the upside is, it's harder to change pedals (well it's kind of an upside) and I don't have to worry about pedals coming off the board if it gets stored on its side for a week...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lincolnic

Wait. You mean all these pedals don't make me play better? What the hell have I been building them for?

sonarchotic

I think it has improved my playing. Before pedal building I was pretty much only playing at band practice and shows but very little at home. Now I head down to the basement/shop to work on a circuit and come up a few hours later with a new song and the circuit still needing work ;D I was never a pedal guy before building them, kind of a long story as to why but my philosophy was great amp plus great guitar and your good. Pedals have really opened me up to a lot more textures and as Jon put it, a better understanding of sound. Just last night at practice I noticed my over all volume was lower but I was cutting through way better thanks to a simple treble boost with some tweaked caps I'd made. 'Testing' pedals makes me play more which leads to me writing more. I'm in three music projects now and feel like I have plenty of material for all of them thanks to all that 'testing'. It does make it hard to finish a circuit though ;D

thesameage

I have to say that after it being a huge time sink (building/reading/etc)  :-[, I've been commissioning builds. I know that it's taking me further away from building, but frankly, I want to be a better player than a builder and am just trying to focus on that. Not sure how I feel about it because I love tinkering, but for now, I want to be a better player.

Rockhorst

I hardly play anymore. The most playing I do is testing pedals. The playing itself hasn't really progressed for about 3 years now I think.

gtr2

I've been status quo for a long while.  Played for 12 years before any pedal DIY.

I'm not as fast or technical as I once was but I sound more polished.  I was never a good technical player anyways, but I know how to fit in to a musical situation very well.  I like to add to the noise, not be the solo creator of it :)  I also used to have stage freight, but now it's no longer an issue.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmyjazz

I find it takes away my playing time. If you build a pedal, build it with as less knobs and switches as possible! If not, you will be forever fiddling with the damn thing that just took forever to get to work!!!!

Gledison

Same here! Need to find a balance between building and playing otherwise soon i will not be able to test the pedals anymore due to the lack of habilities:P
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?