News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Voxy Pre-Box Wiring

Started by das234, February 03, 2014, 03:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I've got my Voxy Brown board populated and, naturally, I want to rock before I box.  But I'm looking at this thing and I'm not sure how to go about wiring it up to do that.  I've seen the wiring diagram for boxing it up but I'm just guessing how to wire it temporarily to test it. 

My guess is I can test the boost side or the drive side individually by connecting 9v to the 9v hole, Ground to one of the G holes, IN to the guitar and OUT to the amp (for each side).  If I want to test the boost and drive together, do I go Boost IN to the guitar, Drive OUT to the amp and connect the Boost OUT and Drive IN together??

jubal81

You've got it exactly right.  8)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

das234

Thanks.  So, what do you recommend for dialing in the tone on this thing? 

jubal81

Quote from: das234 on February 03, 2014, 06:36:49 PM
Thanks.  So, what do you recommend for dialing in the tone on this thing?

Be sure to use genuine 5457s - NOT anything from Tayda. I also crank the bass knob and use it with quite a bit of gain.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

das234

Dang it!  All my 5457s are from Tayda.  Guess I'll have to backburner this one until I can get some parts.  Do you remember which ones you used or where you got them?

jubal81

Smallbear is the only place I trust for through-hole JFETs any more. Someone else will have to chip in on where to get them from Europe.

It will make sound with the phonies/rejects, but doesn't sound as good - very noticeable difference.

Something I haven't tried is the MPF4393. That's what is used in the new DLS from CB and I saw over at another forum they seem pretty interchangeable with the 2N5457.
- David Fair