News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how to fix an incorrect hole?

Started by danwelsh, February 01, 2014, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

hi guys.....so I messed up drilling my in/ out holes on an enclosure and I'm kinda bummed about it. Is there anything I can use to fill it so it won't be seen? I was thinking paintable caulking then utility knife it flat or am I better off just putting a plate over it?

flanagan0718

I've been wondering this too. I've oaffed a few enclosures myself.

TreeSlayer

this is a great question. I usually use my drill fails for the boxes I do for myself. it seems to me you could use some JB Weld to fill the hole, sand it down and try again. i'm going to do a little experiment with that idea tomorrow, and i'll letcha know how it turns out!

LT
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

junkemail86

Decorative stickers!  Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I've done it before.  A couple of mine also have "venting holes" to "prevent overheating"...

rullywowr

Quote from: TreeSlayer on February 01, 2014, 01:05:16 AM
this is a great question. I usually use my drill fails for the boxes I do for myself. it seems to me you could use some JB Weld to fill the hole, sand it down and try again. i'm going to do a little experiment with that idea tomorrow, and i'll letcha know how it turns out!

LT

This does work and is the best way I've found if you are willing to invest the time.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Painter tape on the inside and use bondo/body filler on the outside and sand it smooth. I used to use this method when fixing holes in mini bikes when I was a kid.

Might work.
Cody

danwelsh

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 01, 2014, 01:09:32 AM
Painter tape on the inside and use bondo/body filler on the outside and sand it smooth. I used to use this method when fixing holes in mini bikes when I was a kid.

Might work.
Cody

I have a big can of that stuff not even opened....ill give it a shot.

davent

JB Weld will do it too without the off-gassing of the Bondo. With Bondo i also had it eventually showing through the paint so you might need to use a primer like BIN with shellac that will prevent bleeding through.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

TreeSlayer

I kinda figure the JB Weld would be a stronger fix than Bondo, but then again, either would work I reckon...

LT

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

danwelsh

Quote from: davent on February 01, 2014, 01:14:02 AM
JB Weld will do it too without the off-gassing of the Bondo. With Bondo i also had it eventually showing through the paint so you might need to use a primer like BIN with shellac that will prevent bleeding through.

Yeah I think ideally jbweld would be best but no sense in buying it if I already got the body fill....which just got me thinking....marglass body fill I think would work well also

flanagan0718

Nice I have a huge tube of JB weld! Gonna fix my 1590BB tomorrow! Can't wait to try this.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 01, 2014, 01:34:57 AM
Nice I have a huge tube of JB weld! Gonna fix my 1590BB tomorrow! Can't wait to try this.
let us know how this turns out for you....

LT

flanagan0718

Will do. I'll take a bunch of pictures and do a write up on it.

danwelsh

TreeSlayer