Main Menu

Wedge shaped box - Gauging interest and looking for design ideas

Started by DutchMF, February 02, 2014, 03:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: Clayford on February 05, 2014, 07:25:37 AM
Quote from: davent on February 04, 2014, 07:10:04 PM
Quote from: Clayford on February 04, 2014, 07:00:53 PM
Mac Walker over at DIYSB had something similar. 48 shipped for 4 boxes US.

End of last month he posted here that they're now 5 for $50, unfortunately only to continental US, but i managed to get four before the shipping embargo and they are really nice, a flat roomy wedge.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13616.0

There is another US only option on ebay for steel enclosures, search there under Superfuzz.

I think that's someone that bought the 10 pack and is trying to split them off.

Aaah, ok, never thought of that, still... good deal on some nice enclosures.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

I just finished a rehouse of an Arion SAD-1 in a very similar case I bought at Fry's.  It was raw aluminum.  I painted the sides and wrapped the top with dollar store contact paper to get the look I wanted. 

To make it stomp worthy I had to add the reinforcing tube to hold the sides from collapsing out.  This was the smallest enclosure I could find that would fit the board. 

teknoman2

Since I am from EU I will definetly buy a couple of those....

selfdestroyer

I used one from Frys one time also and found the slope to be to steep for my foot. I think DutchMF is on the right track and would love to see something fabbed for a series of classic fuzz' I am working on.

Govmnt_Lacky

Would still like to see some big box EHX enclosure clones!  ;D

Leevibe

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 06, 2014, 09:11:36 AM
I used one from Frys one time also and found the slope to be to steep for my foot. I think DutchMF is on the right track and would love to see something fabbed for a series of classic fuzz' I am working on.

Agreed.  A shallower slope would be nice.  Heavier gauge aluminum would be good too.  The one I used could have been much thicker and it still would have been plenty light and a little more stomp-worthy.  The surprising thing about sloped enclosures is the lack of useable space compared to the footprint. 

DutchMF

Thanks for all the input, guys! I just got home from a short trip and will try to get this thing rolling asap. I'm going with the design I have at the moment for now, and will put some more thought in it (space for knobs, how to mount the two parts together etc.) if it seems like this is going to happen. Price will be the main point though, fingers x-d!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

blearyeyes

This is something I am interested in but cost seems to be the limiting factor...

DutchMF

There might be a prototype made real soon, with some assistance from another forum member. I'll keep you all posted!

Paul

marmaliser

Quote from: culturejam on February 04, 2014, 08:54:37 PM
I would absolutely LOVE an unfinished (or even powdercoated) Rat-style box. Like the current Rat 2  / Turbo Rat size. I could live without the battery door, which would save in machining costs.

Or maybe slightly smaller all around would be idea. But I love the height and the accessibility when building.

The wedge box is quite difficult and i have only just starting using Autodesk Inventor and have ZERO cad experience but the rat box was pretty easy.  Going to get one made up hopefully next week

And here is the top unfolded.  The plasma will take a DXF and burn this out of 1.5mm plate including the holes then off to the press break for bending .  The bottom is 2mm

I wouldn't be able to get these made up for people but once I have tested the design I am quite happy to share the files.  Any metal shop with a Plasma/laser/Water Jet would be able to make them in no time flat.

Is there anyone on here skilled in inventor?

sonarchotic

Quote from: marmaliser on February 14, 2014, 01:25:02 PM
Quote from: culturejam on February 04, 2014, 08:54:37 PM
I would absolutely LOVE an unfinished (or even powdercoated) Rat-style box. Like the current Rat 2  / Turbo Rat size. I could live without the battery door, which would save in machining costs.

Or maybe slightly smaller all around would be idea. But I love the height and the accessibility when building.

The wedge box is quite difficult and i have only just starting using Autodesk Inventor and have ZERO cad experience but the rat box was pretty easy.  Going to get one made up hopefully next week

And here is the top unfolded.  The plasma will take a DXF and burn this out of 1.5mm plate including the holes then off to the press break for bending .  The bottom is 2mm

I wouldn't be able to get these made up for people but once I have tested the design I am quite happy to share the files.  Any metal shop with a Plasma/laser/Water Jet would be able to make them in no time flat.

Is there anyone on here skilled in inventor?
I am not skilled in inventor but I am interested in the box files when you are ready. Thanks!

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Same here, looks like a good way to start learning Inventor. I have it on my PC both at work and at home, but haven't had the time/stimulus to start looking in to it!

Paul

sonarchotic

I sat down with a friend tonight who's a cad designer and worked out a box based on the Russian EHX boxes. I should have a couple proto's by next week or so, I'll post some pics and get a price together if there is any interest. The first few he's making out of scrap but after that I'll have to get a price for getting them made for real and have no idea how much that will be or if a larger volume order would bring the price down or not. We'll see.

sonarchotic

Since I mentioned this in another thread. Here are the protos for the boxes we came up with. They have a couple of different angles from the Russian EHX boxes. They maintain the lip of the bottom piece over the top so you could use veneers without a border. We moved the screw mounts to the bottom to keep the face clean. You could use Dunlop style grommet/screw combos or just screws and adhesive stand offs. These were made by a metal fab shop but I'm looking at trying to make them myself. If I can get the price reasonable I'll look at making more models and offering them to you guys. Does this box look cool? What other designs would you like to see?