News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover Pop

Started by destro, February 03, 2014, 09:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destro

I have built a current lover with mn3007 on 9v. I am getting a loud pop at the top of the sweep. I've tried a few different mn3007 chips all have same issue. All chips work fine in pork barrel. Bias is only effective all the last tenth or so all the way clockwise. Clock only makes pop longer all the counter and shorter all the way counter, otherwise no real notice in noise.

Any help or guesses would be appreciated!! Can get voltages later...

destro

Also...it sounds like a heartbeat...very loud...replaced c18 with a 30pf no luck...still there. In filter matrix I can sweep the range and it will pop at the top of the sweep.

destro

:-[

replaced the 2n5087 and it's better now.....time to bias for real.....will do a build report when done. Thanks all!!

Scruffie

Lol I skipped over this thread until now as I thought it was footswitch pop!

How weird, that VCO section is finicky though... or does the 2N5087 test bad?
Works at Lectric-FX

gingataff

I had trouble biasing mine so I changed R12 to 47k and that worked.

destro

ginga - what part of the biasing did it change....like were you close but not there to the right sound or totally wouldn't work at all? I feel like if my clock trimmer could go further I could get even better sounds. Tried different c18 caps but no luck. Reading the bias notes I was expecting something different while adjusting the clock. I had lopsided tremolo flange that souded terrible at all settings to various degrees through its rotation except the very end. I am thinking about mess with r32 (lower resistance) and see what happens.

destro

ginga's recommendation helped big time...I thought it was a clipping issue, but it was definitely a bias problem...I parralleled a 82k on it and now it is MUCH better.

THANKS GINGA!!!

LaceSensor

Hi

Its a bias issue
Change where you have the trimpots set....
I had that issue. Its not a BBD problem

destro

Again, I had to change r12 to get it sounding good. Before I posted I read through a lot of tech reports of bias problems and headroom issues. I am convinced this is an easy fix.

gingataff

glad it helped! your biasing issue sounds the same as mine.