News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help me find my next project.

Started by davidnlsw, February 03, 2014, 07:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnlsw

Just finished a "yellow shark" on a Haberdasher pcb (Thanks, Haber-er!) and I've been thinking about what I want to try next.

I have this empty case laying around the house leftover from a Christmas gift:

It's about 3 by 2.25 in. and around an inch tall.

So I thought I might try putting a simple project on perfboard in there.

Any suggestions on something pretty simple that would fit? I've never had a fuzz pedal so I'm thinking about going that direction, although I'm open to other ideas too.

midwayfair

You have lots of space for a circuit, but a switch is probably too tall and that case might not be robust enough to handle being stomped on. Therefore, I say go with an effect you wouldn't turn off: A foundation overdrive (amp sim of some sort), or perhaps a compressor. But if you want a fuzz that's pretty easy to make on perfboard and sounds great, I have several good ones in my perfboard layout. The Sam Ash Fuzzstainer is a really good one that I built recently, lots of good sounds in it and it's super rare. But if you just want suggestions on fuzzes, it's hard to pick just one. :)

angrykoko

that doesn't look big enough for 1/4" jacks.

How about a headphone amp, I've seen those done in Altoids tins. 
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

davidnlsw

Quote from: midwayfair on February 03, 2014, 07:45:57 AM
You have lots of space for a circuit, but a switch is probably too tall and that case might not be robust enough to handle being stomped on. Therefore, I say go with an effect you wouldn't turn off: A foundation overdrive (amp sim of some sort), or perhaps a compressor. But if you want a fuzz that's pretty easy to make on perfboard and sounds great, I have several good ones in my perfboard layout. The Sam Ash Fuzzstainer is a really good one that I built recently, lots of good sounds in it and it's super rare. But if you just want suggestions on fuzzes, it's hard to pick just one. :)

I checked the clearance for a 3pdt the other day and it will be snug, but should fit. I'm not that concerned with durability, it probably wouldn't find it's way to any gigs.

However, I have been in the market for a good compressor. Been eyeing the Xotic SP for quite a while, actually.

Any pert comp project suggestions?

I'll dig through some of those fuzz circuits.
Quote from: angrykoko on February 03, 2014, 07:48:35 AM
that doesn't look big enough for 1/4" jacks.

Again, it's gonna be snug but I checked for space yesterday and it'll do… barely. haha

Gledison

IF you dont want to spend to much in components i would go with a perfboard booster. treble booster or an LPB1.
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

midwayfair

Quote from: davidnlsw on February 03, 2014, 07:56:05 AMAny pert comp project suggestions?

Well, I'm pretty partial to my Bearhug. The library also has perf layouts for the Flatline (Afterlife), Engineer's Thumb, a couple Circuit Salad projects, ... let's just say there are a lot of compressors in there.

DutchMF

If you can fit a switch and jacks in there, I have a suggestion: Since it's a flip-top case, I'd choose a circuit that benefits from experimenting with diodes, IC's, transistors or other components. Maybe a Mudbunny or Greenbean?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

selfdestroyer

Dye it red and put a Foxx fuzz tone pedal in there :]

davidnlsw

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

After digging around for an hour or so today, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. There are just so many perf/vero board layouts out there.

So I'm trying to refine my search. A fuzz or comp layout with a pretty small part count and only 2 pots. Does something that would fit the bill jump out to anyone?

billstein

Quote from: midwayfair on February 03, 2014, 08:19:25 AM
Quote from: davidnlsw on February 03, 2014, 07:56:05 AMAny pert comp project suggestions?

Well, I'm pretty partial to my Bearhug. The library also has perf layouts for the Flatline (Afterlife), Engineer's Thumb, a couple Circuit Salad projects, ... let's just say there are a lot of compressors in there.

I can vouch for the Bearhug. That is a fantastic sounding compressor. Great design Jon.

Jabulani Jonny

Bearhug 2nd!  I haven't even turned it off since it made its way to my board. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

jimilee

Bear hug is great, as well as the afterlife.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davidnlsw

Alright, a lot of love for the Bearhug. I think I might give that build a try.

However I don't think I could fit it in this enclosure I have, right?