News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's the Story? (JHS Morning Glory Clone)

Started by Battery Acid, February 03, 2014, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battery Acid

Hi there! I've just finished this Morning Glory clone using one of those fabulous Aion Electronics boards. Not my cup of tea, but sounds really nice!

Complicate it doesn't make it wrong

Jabulani Jonny

Looks great!  Why don't you like it?  I've heard nothing but rave reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

Battery Acid

I like it, sounds pretty nice and complex, but its too low gain and bright for the style of music I play! I like fatter and meaner overdrives! Tomorrow I'll try it boosting my amp and report back here!

jimilee

I've used one with bass on and off, it's got a great sound but it is a little bit low gain unless you grain the gain. The idea is to overdrive the front end of your amp, they work together. That being said, check put the game of tone over at grind customs or he just posted a massive sale thread over at byoc. Put 2 in one enclosure and you've got the clipping options for low or high gain.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jabulani Jonny

I see you're only using a single clipping option, where the board actually accommodates two. You may want to think about throwing a set of 3mm green LEDS on the other side for grittier and meaner. At least give yourself a couple options.   Maybe socket and try some diodes with lower Fv.

Jonathan

Battery Acid

Quote from: jimilee on February 03, 2014, 10:30:36 PM
I've used one with bass on and off, it's got a great sound but it is a little bit low gain unless you grain the gain. The idea is to overdrive the front end of your amp, they work together. That being said, check put the game of tone over at grind customs or he just posted a massive sale thread over at byoc. Put 2 in one enclosure and you've got the clipping options for low or high gain.

Just tried it pushing the tubes on my amp, now with my Les Paul (yesterday's test was with my Strat), and sounds pretty good, but i'm still finding it a little on the thin side. I have a spare board, think I'll make it a single sided KoT! Thanks for the tip.

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 04, 2014, 03:44:34 AM
I see you're only using a single clipping option, where the board actually accommodates two. You may want to think about throwing a set of 3mm green LEDS on the other side for grittier and meaner. At least give yourself a couple options.   Maybe socket and try some diodes with lower Fv.

But in my experience, led clipping is less gainier than si diodes, and have more volume. But I'll try it, thanks!

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

eddalexandre

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials