News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PPP anodized finishes

Started by Jabulani Jonny, February 04, 2014, 01:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

So I just received my first enclosure order from PedalPartsPlus; 3 translucent copper, 2 translucent gold and 2 anodized yellow 125b boxes.  The translucent copper and gold finishes look fantastic.  However, the anodized yellow boxes look... well, like crap. 

As you can see, there's a lot of discoloration on the top of the box.  Pretty much none on the sides, but there are some spots of bubbling on the sides.  I can't really tell if it's blemishes on the enclosure itself showing through or the actual finish.  It looks more like the finish to me.  I emailed them about it and was basically told that "there's nothing wrong with the powder coating; that's just an attribute of that color.  The anodized colors are translucent, so all the variations on the enclosure will show through.  If you don't want to see those variations, you will need to purchase "non translucent" colors."

Okay, but I can't say I'm convinced it's the enclosure and not the finish.  At any rate, they would exchange them but I'd have to pay shipping both ways. 

So, what do you guys think?  Enclosure or finish?  Either way it looks like I'm stuck with a couple boxes that look kind of crappy.  These were going to friends, so now I'm rethinking my graphics design to see if I can cover up the problem areas.  Probably the last time I order an anodized finish though.  Either that or I'll have to get them to polish the box first. 

:-\
Jonathan

m-Kresol

I have to agree, the colour isn't really what you'd expect. Nevertheless, I'd keep them and make the best out of it. With some luck, your friends will dig it anyway. Or you can go with a full face decal of course. Either in a completely different colour or you'll try to match the yellow. But i guess, you knew these options already ;)

I'd go with a full face decal with envirotex coating. The enclosures look big enough to get some decent graphics on them.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Jabulani Jonny

I went back in and thickened up the pattern to cover more area.  THis is what I'm thinking now.  It's for the Aion Cerulean built to Morning Glory specs.  Maybe that will be enough to cover up the blemishes, but still let the yellow show through. 

Jonathan

jkokura

I believe that's an effect of the anodized finish. I think yellow just isn't the best colour for an anodized finish maybe.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

It is probably a little bit of both. Anodizing doesn't involve an externally applied film like powdercoating or painting. It is actually electrochemically oxidizing and etching very small pores in the surface of the aluminum. What your left with looks like an extremely thin nanosponge of aluminum oxide on the surface of the enclosure. The enclosure is then soaked in a dye solution and usually heated so the colorant migrates into these pores. If the surface isn't super clean or the counterelectrodes in the anodizing bath aren't placed for the most uniform field you can get blotchy coloration like that.

jimijam

I would work on the text in your image a bit. it's very hard to make out. at the distance one would see it while playing the text would need to be much bolder to not be overwhelmed by the  artwork (which is very well done in my opinion). just adding my 2 cents. no offense meant
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

pickdropper

Quote from: jimijam on February 04, 2014, 02:45:12 PM
I would work on the text in your image a bit. it's very hard to make out. at the distance one would see it while playing the text would need to be much bolder to not be overwhelmed by the  artwork (which is very well done in my opinion). just adding my 2 cents. no offense meant

Totally agree.

I would add a sub-layer underneath the text.  I use the same size font but increase the line width to the point that it becomes a giant white blob of text in the same shape as the real text , basically outlining it.  I can put up an example later if you'd like.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Those don't look anything like the anodized yellow I got from them. The one I have is more mottled and has some green in it.

mjcyates

This enclosure is the anodized yellow from PPP. Not what I expected but I think it looks pretty good.

pickdropper

On a possibly related note: I wonder if their enclosures have changed a bit (probably just this batch).  Some of the stuff I've etched lately has revealed a dirtier looking enclosure under the powder coat.  I don't fault them as most people don't remove the finish, but it is more visible with the anodized finishes.  The Anodized Gold enclosure I have here is much more speckled than others I've gotten in the past with the same finish.  I think it looks cool, but different.
Function f(x)

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: jimijam on February 04, 2014, 02:45:12 PM

Absolutely no offense taken.  I agree 100%.  I've been battling the legibility of the text, changing font, etc. 

QuoteI would add a sub-layer underneath the text.  I use the same size font but increase the line width to the point that it becomes a giant white blob of text in the same shape as the real text , basically outlining it.

Actually a great idea.  I'll fiddle with it a bit.  Mamma always told me that was baaaaad, but it always seems to work out in the end.   ;D
Jonathan

wgc

Translucent powder or not, those should have sold as blems, I think.

The finish itself looks fine, but agree the box underneath is the issue.

Nothing about it appears anodized, I would also be disappointed.

Did you send those pictures?  Surprising coming from PPP.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Jabulani Jonny

I did send the pics.  I was also a little surprised after hearing the response.  Either way the boxes look kind of crappy.  Her email made it sound like it was my fault for picking the wrong finish. 

I worked on the art a little.  I don't think I can make the text much bigger; and honestly, it's a three pot pedal.  I'm not too worried about them forgetting exactly what knob does what.  I think this will look halfway decent with the yellow behind it.  Even better over one of the translucent golds. 

Jonathan

pickdropper

That is an improvement.

I don't think the text needs to be bigger, just outlined a bit.  In fact, smaller text with a bit more outline might help even more.
Function f(x)

Blues Healer

could you tell me what knobs those are?
I've been looking for those!
I found something close, but they didn't have the nice line.

Quote from: mjcyates on February 04, 2014, 04:04:44 PM
This enclosure is the anodized yellow from PPP. Not what I expected but I think it looks pretty good.

"music heals"