News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Darkside Kingslayer

Started by Alaboogie, February 05, 2014, 02:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaboogie

My first pedal ever! Never picked up a soldering iron before this but have always wanted to build my own pedal...so addicting! I've already started 3 more haha!

One thing that happens that I don't understand is when the OD is on "heavier OD" and the clipping switch is in one particular position (all the way to one side), if I turn the gain up all the way and strum the guitar super hard the overdrive cuts out and it starts this humming sound that repeats itself and slowly gets louder and louder. I don't know what oscillation sounds like but if I were to guess, that would be it. All of the components are what they should be as far as values are concerned although I put a 1N4742 diode instead of one 1n34a...it's weird because the OD switch is a SPDT which should have been a SPST but it still works and the clipping switch is the right one but no matter what position it's in, the sound doesn't change. Anyone?

Oh some pics  ;D

mandrewbot3k

This is in the build doc...

09.17 Update: A couple have people have pointed out that running the Kingslayer at the max gain
setting with both the soft and hard clipping diodes lifted caused some motor-boating and/or
oscillation. This is due to the higher gain produced by using 1M for R11. For the most part, you do not
want to use the max gain setting with no diodes, but it does sound pretty good up to the half-way
point (before harsh op-amp clipping sets in). If you want to avoid this situation altogether, socket R11
and try some lower values, something between 470-750k. Keep in mind that this will also reduce the
max gain when the clipping diodes are engaged, so it may require testing a couple values to find the
best balance for your needs.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Alaboogie