News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Idea in conjunction with delay

Started by jtn191, March 16, 2011, 03:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

sorry if I'm just dreaming out loud:

I've got a Line 6 Echopark (a lot of people trash on it, but Dan used one on the latest Black Keys record   :)) which has a meh buffered bypass. Also I've really been wanting an Echoplex. So I thought: build a FatPants-->looper in the same enclosure for use with my Echo Park. good idea?

jkokura

I had an echo park. I thought the buffet wasn't noticeable personally. It's a fantastic, rugged delay with incredible features. Worth having. I'd get it again if I got a good trade offer, but I have a ridiculous number of delay pedals.

About your idea... It's an interesting one. I think you could do it, but you need to realize that the fatpants itself acts a combination buffer and booster. It's not going to replace or even change your tone through the echo park to sound more like the echo plex. That said, I use a fatpants as a preamp after a compressor as an always on tone platform. It's a pleasant sounding circuit for sure.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: jtn191 on March 16, 2011, 03:32:50 AM
sorry if I'm just dreaming out loud:

I've got a Line 6 Echopark (a lot of people trash on it, but Dan used one on the latest Black Keys record   :)) which has a meh buffered bypass. Also I've really been wanting an Echoplex. So I thought: build a FatPants-->looper in the same enclosure for use with my Echo Park. good idea?

I'm somewhat of a line 6 hater, I've owned just about every line 6 product at one time.  The only thing I've got now is a DL-4 that I recently "restored"  I got it for dirt cheap and I probably could triple my money on it.  But once I played it I really couldn't bring myself to let it go...  I think they really nailed the delays on there products and the echopark is no exception.

I agree with Jacob.  I don't think you'll necessarily be doing yourself any favors by adding a fatpants specifically for the echopark.  I would still build one but in it's own enclosure.  It's a great little circuit.  I've got an echoplex and believe it or not the tape setting on the dl4 and echopark is pretty freakin close, you can even get that natural runaway background delay where it doesn't interfere with what your playing on top of it.  They are closer than some other delays that are marketed as sounding tape like.  (I'm not talking about the el capistan).

I've got a lot of delays as well and the line 6 delays are great for the money.

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jtn191

I think the difference between an Echoplex and most imitations I've heard is the subtle soft "roundness" of the repeats and how they trail off longer, an uneven chorusing effect, and that cool self oscillation sound. But I guess when it comes down to subtlety, there is no imitation

B_of_H

I built the echoplex booster into a rebote delay.  I liked it but had to pull it as it was a tight fit in an enclosure and didn't spend a lot of time on it. 

My idea was to put the ep circuit post delay and mod it for a darker sound (can't remember all what I did but I darkened it up quite a bit).  I also tried it pre-delay as well. 

IIRC I thought it might need to be inserted into the signal path somewhere rather than just pre/post effect.  There is probably a thread here on it if you search (link below) but iirc the idea was to put it on the wet sound only.  Unfortunately I got tied up with other stuff and never followed through (typical for my project ideas  ::) )

as far as the echo park i'd think it might be a nice addition but it also might emphasize the sterile nature of the repeats and make an other wise nice sounding delay a little to brittle and bright. 

here is the thread actually:  (this is for the original design which was minus the fat control iirc)

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=466.0

jtn191

I'm thinking this would be a good enough idea to try (to use with not just Echo Park, but any other analog delay).

I did a quick google search and apparently a company called Gaspedal made a Gecko Boost that used this idea. Also, I realized if the loop is setup as an A/Y switcher, you could set the delay's Mix to max and add any pedals to only the wet signal...like compressor, overdrive, pitch shift, eq...hm. I'm thinking the looper itself could add flexibility to any delay.

Dry
Going Fatpants > looper <
                                       compressor/Tube sounding overdrive->Delay->EQ
might give closer results...you just need a way to mix the 2 signals
Shoot, it might just be easier to go with Strymon stuff