News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

loop-pedal controlled by external switch?

Started by Sigesmundninja, February 22, 2014, 04:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

I have a Carl-martin octaswitch, it has 8 loops and 2 "external switch" outputs for controlling amp-channels for example. I was thinking that i might be able to build loop pedals with I/O for guitar/amp and send/return for effects but on/off would be controlled by the "external switch" outputs of the octaswitch instead of a foot-switch.  this would give me 10 loops instead of 8.

Please give me your input on this idea. How would you tech-heads construct this?

jkokura

You need more details on how the switching of the Octaswitch outputs work. Does it just connect tip to ground on a 1/4" jack?

Chances are high all you need is a non-latching relay setup, that bypass the signal as long as the circuit is open. When you close the circuit the relay kicks the circuit on.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Sigesmundninja

The Manual for the octaswitch didn't give me much information about this but I did the following test with a simple pacth-cable (don't have a stereo cable at the moment).

witch the external dip-switch turned off there is no connection between tip and sleeve of the plug. witch the dip-switch turned on there is connection between tip and sleeve. I'm assuming this means that the tip connects to ground when the external dip-switch is engaged.

jkokura

Great, so using that, what you can do is simply use a standard #11 1/4" jack in stead of using a latching SPDT switch for controlling the bypass of a relay based bypass system. The key is that you can't use a momentary system, it needs to be latching, which is what the Octaswitch outputs. As long as you have that worked out, you can use it to bypass effects or whatever you need.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Sigesmundninja

So could this be done by using the Panasonic TQ2-L relay and simply wire its ground-connection to the tip-lug of the "external-switch"-jack?
I'm not really comfortable reading data-sheets and figuring out this sort of the things but does this make sence?