News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wah not wahing(SOLVED)

Started by danwelsh, February 09, 2014, 05:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, so i figured i should post a new thread now that i got the buzz gone on my weener.....i have no wah effect whatsoever, it's just acting as a volume pedal???

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

rullywowr

The inductor could also be shot. I've had this happen before.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

danwelsh

Quote from: rullywowr on February 09, 2014, 10:16:33 AM
The inductor could also be shot. I've had this happen before.

how would I test the inductor

rullywowr

Im honestly not sure. I would swap a known working one to see if it makes it go.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wgc

agree it could be the inductor too

A continuity check across the leads will show a broken coil, more precise measurement is a bit trickier

More likely you have a bad joint or trace somewhere inline with the inductor or transistor
e.e. cummings

danwelsh

Quote from: wgc on February 09, 2014, 03:57:12 PM
agree it could be the inductor too

A continuity check across the leads will show a broken coil, more precise measurement is a bit trickier

More likely you have a bad joint or trace somewhere inline with the inductor or transistor

i have continuity between two of the inductor leads but not the other two....should i have continuity all the way around?

Clayford

The inductor and it's traces are the first place to start looking, and it depends on which pins are continuous and which ones aren't. They usually have continuity in matching pairs
1 - 2
3 - 4

1&2 have continuity as well as 3&4
or
1&3 and 2&4

Depending on which inductor you have - you might need to rotate it 90° to get some "wah"
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

wgc

Yeah, you might have it rotated 90 off.

Would be helpful to indicate what inductor you have if that doesn't fix it.
e.e. cummings

danwelsh

okay guys, i'll let you know what happens after i rotate it.

danwelsh

okay....so here's a picture of my inductor...i marked the two leads that have continuity together with a red marker, the other two don't have continuity....which way should this be positioned on the pcb? Or is my inductor shot?

danwelsh

okay guys.....figured it out, my inductor is shot. :(

danwelsh

Got my new inductor installed today.....and now i have wah effect....this is an awesome circuit :)

jimilee

Quote from: danwelsh on February 11, 2014, 01:11:55 PM
okay....so here's a picture of my inductor...i marked the two leads that have continuity together with a red marker, the other two don't have continuity....which way should this be positioned on the pcb? Or is my inductor shot?
No continuity should have been soldered to circuit, continuity solder to the bottom 2 holes if you haven't figured it out by now in case the inductor is good.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.