News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what next?

Started by mandrewbot3k, March 16, 2011, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

So after I complete my egodriver and quasar, which are going much slower than expected because I havent figured out my egodrivers problem yet, i need a new project. Since my board will soon contain my Timmy, OCD (ego), TS808(landgraff dynamic od clone), and the quasar (RC Booster), I'm curious what im missing. Im thinking im  gonna go with a chunk chunk (dr. boogie) or mudbunny (big muff (rams head)). my other thoughts are a slow loris (rat) or a krankosauraus.

The egodriver really covered a lot of ground for me as far as higher gain settings go. that thing can crank and still come out very clear. so shall I go fuzz? im definitely ordering my next board from madbean. i etched my own for my OCD and quasar and it was just not worth the time. heh.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Myramyd

What kind of amp do you run? That makes some difference in covering ground with pedals IMHO.

J

mandrewbot3k

Good point. Sorry. I run a MIM Telecaster with bill lawrence keystones into a Vox AC15C1 (the new one with the greenback). I have an A/B that I use for my normal/top boost. and I also run a Boss CS-3 compressor with wamplers fat body mod or my behringer dynacomp clone. and a BBE two timer delay. i was leaning towards the big muff for that dinosaur jr sound.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

mandrewbot3k

Oh and I've just recently started using the Timmy as an "EQ" of sorts that just stays on all the time. I just like how it makes my clean sound.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

jkokura

Fuzz is my thought. Whichever tickles your fancy. I would think the rangemaster would be useful too as a treble boost, and a muff or octave fuzz like the wolfshirt would be a change of pace from the dual op amp overdrives your have lots of.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pauloman80

I've always been a Tubescreamer & equivalent guy, so when I decided to branch out, I went for the Krankosaurus.  Nice to get Marshall-y tones from a '71 Super.  I've never been a fan of the Rat, so I say go for the Krank.  But it can also depend on the amp you're running your rig through. 
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

jtn191

you like Dinosaur Jr too? rock on! I'm a Built to Spill fan, a Dino fan, so I'm a Muff-fan; go with the muff. I'm also looking into a Rat--haven't built either but I do enjoy the sounds

Jim from Built to Spill (who you may or may not like, though the former is more probable) builds pedals and also plays through an AC15, usually teles or tele deluxes. Live he uses a rat, a tube screamer, and a klon...so I'd go with those  ;)

mandrewbot3k

Thanks everyone.

I think I'm gonna go with what Jacob recommended and my next build is going to be a rams head muff build. J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr has an army of muffs and claims the rams head is his favorite. And since there are so many options, then one recommendation is all I need. Then I might go with a wolfshirt after that to get that octave sound too.

J. Mascis' muff museum:

As for the rangemaster, ever since I bought the AC15 i've wanted one, but they are PNP. Is there a good NPN equivalent to the OC44 thatI can just flip all the diods and caps with? Or are any of the other boost builds here, like the SHO or fatpants similar to the rangemaster?

Paulo - Have you used an OCD? I was quite surprised by the marshall plexi sounds I could get from it. maybe i built it wrong. lol.  Does the Krankosaurus cover that much more ground then it? I was leaning towards a chunk chunk for that boogie rectifier sound but the krank does sound pretty good from my video demos of the box of rock ive seen. Im gonna assume its mostly loss of clarity with the krank compared to the OCD?

jtn - Although I havent been listening to built to spill in the past year or so, still a huge fan. You in Reverse was fantastic. One of my all time favorite albums. Haven't listened to the newest one yet, but one day I will.

Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

DougCFL

I built the Ego Driver, Slow Loris, Broomstick, Krankosauris and others.  I have most of them on my board still.  The Ego and Krank are similar, but different.  If I only had one, I'd pick the Ego every time.  It just sounds better to me on both solos and rhythms.  Also the Krank has an SHO in it too and is a different layout.  That's why I built the Broomstick (which I used Krank values).

bigmufffuzzwizz

I say go with a muff! They are tons of fun and the rams head is a great circuit.

One of my buddies plays guitar in Witch now(one of J. Mascis's new band) and that lucky guy got to go to his house and see his big muff wall.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals