News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Confessions thread

Started by madbean, February 10, 2014, 06:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortexturizer

So glad to read this. Been thinking the same for like a decade.
While he was playing an SG he was a God at the time.

The only one and true God, eternal, immortal, good today like he always was, is Jeff Beck. Can I have an amen here guys?
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Haberdasher

Quote from: pickdropper on February 13, 2014, 08:35:37 AM

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 13, 2014, 08:20:54 AM
Quote from: raulduke on February 13, 2014, 04:11:25 AM
Guitar Confession: I don't like the majority of Eric Clapton's material.

I went to see him with my dad when I was sixteen, and it was mind numbingly dull.
too true.  i never understood the clapton is god thing at all.  good player, solid player, but boooooring.  i don't care for his style or material tbh, and i confess I've always thought he was one of those lucky guys who came along at just the right time.

I actually think his early work with Cream and John Mayall was really quite good.  But I feel like he's been phoning it in for a while now.  Clapton is God?  That was always overblown.
yeah i suppose some of his early stuff was much better, and i guess i should give him his due.  i just tend to compare him with his contemporaries like page and hendrix, whom i consider more important in the grand scheme

and.....

Quote from: Cortexturizer on February 13, 2014, 08:40:24 AM
So glad to read this. Been thinking the same for like a decade.
While he was playing an SG he was a God at the time.

The only one and true God, eternal, immortal, good today like he always was, is Jeff Beck. Can I have an amen here guys?

one of the greatest guitar records i've heard :)
and if i'm not mistaken one of his only records where he plays a les paul?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Droogie

Love Jeff Beck! Out of all the guys who came through that period in the UK, he's the one whose guitar playing really still shines. I dig Zeppelin, but more for the overall vibe than the guitar playing itself.

I wouldn't call J Beck the only one though—that Hendrix fellow had a bit on the ball!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

TNblueshawk

Clapton fan here  :)  Yup, he has mailed it in for quite some time actually or at least from this fan's perspective. I know if you read his statements etc... he would say he was sick of the long solo's etc... and it sounds like many of you are too! But the music is not so good. I have quite a few of the albums that are not that good. But he is one of the greatest talents to pick up an acoustic or electric for my taste. I can't help but wonder had he died after the Derek era would he be held in the highest esteem as some others?

Let's say Hendrix lives. He then puts out some more great music but the law of averages catches up, or he is a product of his time or whatever and he puts out some crappy stuff too. Do we still hold him as high as we do or do we do "a Clapton" on him and think he is overrated? I don't claim to have an answer but I think sometimes it's like the old deal like on Jordan's final NBA jaunt. It leaves a crappy taste in your mouth but it doesn't diminish what he did during those important years. Clapton had a pretty good run I think and many many guitar players followed and picked up a guitar because of him. I also wouldn't want to get on stage with him in a shredding contest even right now. 

For me Santana makes me want to barf the past 20 years. This is coming from someone who has 25+ of his CD's. His first, I don't know maybe 8 or so albums are incredible and you can't say he sounded like anyone else but himself. Afer that year by year while some have good moments it became a....ugh...yet I still bought them. One I bought as a cassette many years ago, popped it into my little Honda Civic, listened to the whole thing, ejected it out of the tape deck, put it back in the case, rolled down my window and threw it out as I was driving. Beyond Appearences was the cassette but I digress.

Anyway, not a Clapton fanboy really. I just like much of his stuff from the past as well as From the Craddle which I guess by now is really in the past.

By the way, I'll state my case for Duane Allman and Johnny Winter running circles around most and keeping up with the rest  ;D ...well not so much Duane at the moment....
John

toetap

Beck is the man, and the only artist I can think of who's command of his technique has got better with time. I never listen to Wired any more because its always running in the background of my mind ;D 

pickdropper

I haven't done my confessions yet, so here goes:

1.) I have a soft spot for 80's music, some of it quite mediocre.  From 80's heavy metal to new wave.  I grew up with it, so there is a certain familiarity for me.

2.) Following up on confession 1, I really wish I could play like John Sykes.  I know that every band he has been in kind of sucks, but he's a great player.

3.) For some inexplicable reason I decided to introduce my 8 year old daughter (now 9) to the Gap Band.  I guess I find it amusing to listen to her walk around singing "You dropped the bomb on me."

4.) Much like crappy 80's rock, I occasionally like pulp fiction mystery novels.  I got into Michael Connelly books last year and ready the entire library in about 5 months (24 books or so).

5.) At any given point, I have way too many goofy ideas of things I want to do.  Sometimes, I think it would be better to be myopically focused and do things in serial instead of in parallel.

6.) I often feel I am a jack of all trades master of none.  I sometimes envy people that have one dedicated thing (either profession or hobby) that they work on until they master it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

Well shoot, I guess I need to do mine too.

1) I'm tired of working. I think 35 years should be enough for anyone and I feel I've paid my dues.
2) Aligned with #1 I will be inheriting some money one day as in enough to retire I think from my grandmother. She is 98. I shouldn't be thinking about this let alone typing it but I do and I feel bad when I do.
3) I hate pop culture, any kind of pop culture. You name it I likely don't like it. I won't blather about why.
4) I wish my wife would lose some weight but I'm too afraid to tell her like it is. I hate it when she cries.
5) I kicked a Tramadol habit June 14 from headaches and back pain. Now I just have headaches and back pain but I feel a shit ton better than I did.

Ok, that's enough before Bean bans me  :o
John

Haberdasher

Quote from: pickdropper on February 13, 2014, 11:05:09 AM4.) Much like crappy 80's rock, I occasionally like pulp fiction mystery novels.  I got into Michael Connelly books last year and ready the entire library in about 5 months (24 books or so).

dave, bosch is probably my favorite fictional character from the pulp genre; i confess i have read all those too.

the other character i have a weakness for is aloysius pendergast.  some of those books are really pretty cheesy, but i have read every one of them, lol.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 13, 2014, 11:55:53 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on February 13, 2014, 11:05:09 AM4.) Much like crappy 80's rock, I occasionally like pulp fiction mystery novels.  I got into Michael Connelly books last year and ready the entire library in about 5 months (24 books or so).

dave, bosch is probably my favorite fictional character from the pulp genre; i confess i have read all those too.

the other character i have a weakness for is aloysius pendergast.  some of those books are really pretty cheesy, but i have read every one of them, lol.

Yeah, Bosch is a great character.  Before I read all the Connelly stuff, I read The Brothers Karamazov and the light, fast reading of the Bosch stuff was a really nice shift from the heavy Russian prose.

I haven't read the Pendergast stuff , so I'll have to check that out.  I'm currently reading Stephen Hawking's latest as well as L.A. Confidential by Ellroy, which hasn't quite hooked me yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

m-Kresol

I actually like Eric Clapton, although I never saw him play live and I don't listen to his stuff often. I don't really know why, I just do. "Layla" is a master piece that I just can't stop humming/singing the guitar parts for the whole day after hearing it just once in the morning.
Also, I'm sorry to admit that I never heard of Jeff Beck. Have to look him up immediately.

I come up with new confessions as the day passes:
*) I just drilled 2 enclosures. Since I almost screwed up the last one for the ZeroPoint SDX, I'm afraid of drilling. Also, I took my optical safety goggles home from the lab just to drill. I'm such a nerd, it often surprises me anew.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

sonarchotic

If I confessed to all of the bands and musicians, that as a musician I'm supposed to like but don't, I would probably piss off every member here ;D It's a long list.

davent

Todays -i do not own- a tie or even a shirt that would function with a tie... i do know how to tie one.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

For the first time in years, I just sat down and listened to a couple of albums end to end on a proper hi-fi, in an comfy chair, with a beer (well 3). Now I listen to music all the time, but it's at the computer, while driving or building pedals. It's been a long, long time since I put a album on and just listened to it.

It was rather lovely.

I should do it more often.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Quote from: TNblueshawk on February 13, 2014, 11:18:22 AM
1) I'm tired of working. I think 35 years should be enough for anyone and I feel I've paid my dues.

Coming up to five years ago I got tired of working. I used to enjoy my job when it was taxing, technical and interesting. As it got more and more 'off-shored', I found my role becoming more and more administerial. The less I had to think, the more I thought about who it was I worked for, how they operated, and how I really didn't like it.

Now I didn't just up and quit, I planned for it in a fairly big way, hence I only quit a little under two years ago. But it's one of the best things I've done in my life. I still have no idea what I'm going to do when the money gets low enough that I have to work again as there's no chance of me going back to my former career.

That concerns me occasionally. But as it stands, I'm doing things I want to do. I really enjoy creating things. Hence I've built a silly amount of pedals. I'm planning on visiting my friends in India this year and a trip to Italy to drive a couple of tracks that are on my circuit bucket list.

Seeing my parents not being able to do what they want to do in their retirement due to their circumstances kind of brought it home. You gotta do what you enjoy when you can.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GermanCdn

In the work related confession scheme, I've never stayed at one job for more than four years, nor do I ever intend to.  My shortest stint is 6 and a half months, which will come to an end at the end of this month.

Music confession - I like Nickelback.  And Creed.  Please don't ban me.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.