News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Confessions thread

Started by madbean, February 10, 2014, 06:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

My guitar confession: BB King. I just don't get it. People talk about what a wonderful guitar player he is. I've never been impressed. Probably just me being ruined by Hendrix, Van Halen and the likes.

selfdestroyer

I have friends that I have been close to for most of my life. They know what I was and who I am now and I love surprising them from time to time. I have one buddy that we have TONS of musical interests and we still listen to most of the stuff from Junior High and High School like: Sisters of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Joy Division, Front 242... etc but today I expanded to pop and hip hop. I listen to most everything except Country. I grew up with a father that was in a Country Rock band and I guess I got burned on it or just never really liked it. I love seeing my buddy's face when I put on a Justin Timberlake song on in the car or watching him cringe with the supposed "wanabe joy division bands" like Interpol and White Lies. I am glad I can enjoy such diverse music.. I think I am happier for that.

Cody

jimilee

Quote from: billstein on February 13, 2014, 03:58:12 PM
My guitar confession: BB King. I just don't get it. People talk about what a wonderful guitar player he is. I've never been impressed. Probably just me being ruined by Hendrix, Van Halen and the likes.
Yeah, the blues are less technical and more a feeling. If you e ever watched rattle and hum, B.B. King admits he can't play rhythm. So there's that
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

atreidesheir

Clapton - Journeyman was nice.  had four good songs.  From the Cradle seriously rocked.  Otherwise he has sleepwalked since 1972.  I liked his playing on 'The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking' too.

TNblueshawk - It takes serious fortitude and character to come through that on top.  Your family and everyone who loves you should be grateful.  My wife is a good woman, but cannot shake her slavery to pills.  Ruined everything and now I have to protect my little boy from it.  You are the man.

Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 13, 2014, 04:48:00 PM
Sisters of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Joy Division, Front 242...

I dig these bands, too.  I still listen to Skinny Puppy and Sisters of Mercy on a regular basis, although I definitely lean towards certain albums of theirs.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on February 13, 2014, 04:49:11 PM

Quote from: billstein on February 13, 2014, 03:58:12 PM
Yeah, the blues are less technical and more a feeling. If you e ever watched rattle and hum, B.B. King admits he can't play rhythm. So there's that

I saw BB King live back in the early 90's.  I really enjoyed the energy and playing.
Function f(x)

Haberdasher

yeah bb king is all about seeing him live.  he puts on a great show actually.  i have never owned any of his recordings, but the man just has that thing, where you feel like you're in the room with a living legend.

we doing musical confession now?

i liked elliott smith.  a lot.  (does that make me 'emo'?)
i dig power pop
i never understood the fascination with the grateful dead
i've hated just about everything rush has done post moving pictures
to me, a lot of the pink floyd after the wall is kind of meh.  not talking about gilmour himself, just the music overall
i used to listen to judas priest a lot when i was young and i can remember getting mad one day when beavis & butthead made fun of them
i never liked steve vai much
i freakin love adrian belew and robert fripp
my favorite drummer is steve smith
i don't have a favorite bassist, so i'll go with, ummm....jimilee
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

mattlee0037

Stevie Ray Vaughan kinda bores me :P and I like Katy Perry way too much...

madbean

I've read almost every Michael Crichton book.
I have read autobiographies of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Bruce Campbell.
I cried at the end of Battlestar Galactica. Also, M.A.S.H.
I have started the LOTR books many times but can't get through them. Also, I've started Don Quixote probably 5 times and always quit around page 100. Same with Les Miserables.
I love everything Simple Minds did in the 80's except for that Breakfast Club song, which sucks compared to their other material.

jimilee

Quote from: mattlee0037 on February 13, 2014, 07:09:41 PM
Woah! He said keep it light!  :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: raulduke on February 13, 2014, 04:11:25 AM
Guitar Confession: I don't like the majority of Eric Clapton's material.

I went to see him with my dad when I was sixteen, and it was mind numbingly dull.

Have you given One More Car, One more Rider a shot?  The DVD and CD are pretty exceptional IMHO.

So I've bee trying to get into this confessions thread, but I'm feeling pretty boring. I'll give it a shot:

1) I listen to Downbeat Electronica when I'm pedal building...it makes me feel like I'm defusing b0mbs.

2) I generally feel that my way of doing something is the best way, because I typically spend the time researching all the other ways and have settled on whichever one I'm trying to show you. You should listen to me. No really, I can save you heartache.

3) I'm a commercial banker by day, just about the most conservative, uptight profession you can get. On the side I build pedals/play on bands/record/photograph/produce videos for charities/ etc. just to keep my creativity up.

4) I don't read books or watch TV. How the hell can I?  I'm too busy doing all the crap I just listed above. It pretty much makes casual conversation a chore. "So did you see... Nope.

5) I'm a huge Dead fan. Seriously. I'm getting ready to build either a Kraken or Nautilus for the Jerry wah tone. Do me a favor, grab your favorite beverage and listen to "Brokedown Palace" on Dozin at the Knick. It's on Spotify. That song will be played at my funeral. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on February 13, 2014, 07:25:24 PM
I've read almost every Michael Crichton book.
I have read autobiographies of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Bruce Campbell.
I cried at the end of Battlestar Galactica. Also, M.A.S.H.
I have started the LOTR books many times but can't get through them. Also, I've started Don Quixote probably 5 times and always quit around page 100. Same with Les Miserables.
I love everything Simple Minds did in the 80's except for that Breakfast Club song, which sucks compared to their other material.

Same with LOTR books here, but I think I tried them at a time when I just couldn't dig in.  Or at least that is what I tell myself.

Bruce Campbell has an autobiography?  I might have to read that.
Function f(x)

mattlee0037

Quote from: jimilee on February 13, 2014, 07:33:18 PM

Sorry I know, on the other hand I've been also digging David Bowie a ton. Not sure how people feel about him though either...

jimilee

Quote from: mattlee0037 on February 13, 2014, 08:32:08 PM
Quote from: jimilee on February 13, 2014, 07:33:18 PM

Sorry I know, on the other hand I've been also digging David Bowie a ton. Not sure how people feel about him though either...
So are you talking pre or post ziggy stardust?

pryde

#5. My user name has nothing to do with "being proud", its actually my middle name.

#6, I am legally blind in my right eye due to a rare condition that occurred a few years ago. Kinda sucks but I have adapted quite well (my left eye is still 20/20).