News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Confessions thread

Started by madbean, February 10, 2014, 06:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Is it "sacrilege" that I do NOT find some obscure and little known guitar player as an influence? Im sorry, but my only influences are the BIG ones:

1) Hendrix: Innovator and THE man! Also a fellow Lefty  ;D
2) EVH: Of course!
3) Randy Rhodes: Died WAY too early
4) Slash: Love his use of the blues in his playing. Often.. very soulful
5) Mark Tremonti (YES... I said it... he is an influence)
6) Tom Morello: Brilliant with out of the box improvisation

DutchMF

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 15, 2014, 07:11:53 AM

THANK YOU!!!! 'nother fan here, he just rips!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Vallhagen

hmm hehe hrrmm...

Some twentytwo years ago I gave my old son "Edward" as second name... Well you get it; Eddie Val Hagen... hrrm hmm...

...confession made.
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

koky

1) When I was kid I took my fathers solder gun tips and was wondering what is going to happen if I plug them into wall socket ( note that here we have 220 v of electricity ). After some time I decided they will become red as f**k and I won`t be able to unplug them. So... why not to try first with some wire? I stripped the ends and DID IT!!! Some time later I was recumbent on opposite wall and I still see flashing lights from time to time.
2) When I was 14 yo I went to the movie "The Wall" ALONE.
3) Pink Floyd is my favorite band (along with Waters and Gilmore single albums ). Then comes Pearl Jam, W.A.S.P. (The Crimson Idol), Cinderella, Great White and I don`t like The Beatles, Eric Clapton (except in "Pros and Cons of hitchhiking" ).
4) I live with 9 years older than me woman but I can say that these are the BEST 13 years of my life.
5) I am very bad in organizing stuff and very impatient to finish my job that I often make mistakes or forget to do something critical.
6) Heavy smoker.

I said it.
"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it." - Christopher McCandless

jimilee

Quote from: DutchMF on February 15, 2014, 12:54:18 AM
I can't believe GNR popped up in this thread. Sheer brilliance up to Illusions 1&2. Huge fan, and Slash is still one of my favourites. Saw him live not to long ago, the guy can still deliver!

Paul
Slash is great with Miles Kennedy, that dude has pipes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matt

Is it "sacrilege" that I do NOT find some obscure and little known guitar player as an influence? Im sorry, but my only influences are the BIG ones:

1) Hendrix: Innovator and THE man! Also a fellow Lefty  ;D
3) Randy Rhodes: Died WAY too early
4) Slash: Love his use of the blues in his playing. Often.. very soulful
6) Tom Morello: Brilliant with out of the box improvisation

Absolutely nothing wrong with that list.

1) I didn't appreciate Hendrix when I was younger, but when I started really listening to what he did with chord progressions I was blown away.
2)yup
3)he is the reason I started playing.
4)I could watch and listen to him play all day long.  He makes the guitar look so amazing easy to play.
5) don't get the hatred for this guy.  Wish he would have cut loose a bit mode on the creed albums.  Guess it wasn't popular at the time.
6)makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of my whammy pedal.   The intro for Know Your Enemy is one of the coolest riffs I've ever heard.

I'll throw in Dimebag as well.  Surprising one of my favorite solos of his was on Panteras cover of lancet Caravan.
Matt

juansolo

Built a distortion today that we've been hacking around in DIYLC for quite a while. Not only did it work first time, it required minimal tweaking and sounded really rather good. Feeling rather smug, we got a KFC in that could have probably fed a small town.

It'll appear in due course in the build reports once it's boxed up and I can move again.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

Quote from: jimilee on February 15, 2014, 11:04:59 AM

Quote from: DutchMF on February 15, 2014, 12:54:18 AM
I can't believe GNR popped up in this thread. Sheer brilliance up to Illusions 1&2. Huge fan, and Slash is still one of my favourites. Saw him live not to long ago, the guy can still deliver!

Paul
Slash is great with Miles Kennedy, that dude has pipes.

Jimi, you hit it right on the head, Miles is one great vocalist! Seen him about 7 or 8 times now (once with Slash, the rest with AB) and the guy can sing!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

redbean

1. Even though I have a few large boxes full of brand new pedal parts, I haven't built a SINGLE pedal!! I had planned to order a Madbean baby board pcb well over a year ago, just to start something easy, but ended up making a REAL BABY instead. Oops!  :)
2. We hadn't planned on it, but I think being a father is the greatest thing since the Big Bang. I blame Bacchus and Mardi Gras 2012!
3. I have one fan – a one-year-old.
4. I am a school addict, an education junkie. I spent 4/5s of my life in school, and yes, I am still in college, and have plans to continue unless I am too broke.
5. Speaking of 'fans', I love watching "Shaun the Sheep", and old cartoons and children's shows on YouTube with my daughter.
6. I have hardly watched TV for nearly two decades. Though, I must confess, I miss shows like, M*A*S*H, Faulty Towers, Dr. Who, The Pythons, Black Adder, and the Young Ones (SPG fan).
7. For many years, I played mostly classical guitar (nylon string), and funky New Orleans/Brazilian music (percussion) during Mardi Gras, and some flamenco. I'm no luddite, but I haven't 'plugged in' a guitar in a long time.
8. However, I recently started experimenting with a cheap six string electric bass. Not surprisingly I found myself playing Bach cello music, instead of learning everything ever played by Geddy Lee, from Moving Pictures to Fly By Night.
9. I admit it – I am a bigtime Rush fan, though for nearly two decades I did not listen to Rush, or any other favorites, due to my preference to play and study classical music. However, YouTube recently MADE me watch tonnes of old videos of rock/jazz/Opry concerts and documentaries. I stayed up all night the other night watching, for example, Rush, Styx, and Judas Priest concert footage, Jerry Reed playing on old TV shows with Glen Campbell and Chet Atkins, and João Gilberto,Tom Zé, and Chico Buarque de Hollanda (classic Brazilian TV), etc.
10. When I was a teen, I auditioned for a premiere classical/jazz music school by playing "Bastille Day" by Rush ("Caress of Steel") on an unplugged Gibson SG, thus raising all the eyebrows of several adults at the same time WITHOUT turning an amp up to '11'. Nevertheless, I passed the audition, probably due to my sheer gall (with a little talent mixed in), and/or they thought I was a psycho that should be given an appropriate outlet for creative expression.
11. I wish the Moon was really made of cheese... a sort of blue Wensleydale would be nice.
es là-bas!!

micromegas

Quote from: redbean on February 18, 2014, 02:31:58 AM

5. Speaking of 'fans', I love watching "Shaun the Sheep", and old cartoons and children's shows on YouTube with my daughter.

Shaun the Sheep is the best. Well, the best is "Wallace&Gromitt", but Shaun the Sheep is good too....

I love stop-motion. Maybe my favourite kind of movies?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: redbean on February 18, 2014, 02:31:58 AM
9. I admit it – I am a bigtime Rush fan...

As soon as I read this....

juansolo

I have just had an MOT of me. First time at the doctors since I was a teen (I'm slightly phobic of needles as mentioned earlier). Anyhow, results are in. I have to cut back on dairy and beer. Two of my favourite things (I LOVE CHEESE). On the upside I've had medical advice not to eat salad*

*while I visit India...  I may have blanked that last bit.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Wine and whisky it is!

More seriously, hope all is well.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Quote from: juansolo on February 18, 2014, 06:02:13 AM
I have just had an MOT of me. First time at the doctors since I was a teen (I'm slightly phobic of needles as mentioned earlier). Anyhow, results are in. I have to cut back on dairy and beer. Two of my favourite things (I LOVE CHEESE). On the upside I've had medical advice not to eat salad*

Why beer? Also, what is an MOT? It is like our annual physical in the States?

*while I visit India...  I may have blanked that last bit.
John

davent

Moment of Truth? or reality check... I'm guessing here.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?