News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etching

Started by flanagan0718, February 11, 2014, 04:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Has anyone here tried the Ferric Chloride Powder? I want to start Etching boards and don't know if it's better to use the liquid or powder for a newb etcher.

selfdestroyer

I thought the powder was just a way to ship the Ferric Chloride and you add liquid to it?

muddyfox

Yep.. locally we only get granules (well, not anymore, apparently there's some sort of EU ban on ferric chloride?) that get diluted in water. Works fine.

m-Kresol

There is NO difference. I'm chemist, trust me.
The "liquid" is just a watery solution of the "powder", which is just plain FeCl3*6H2O (Ferric chloride hexahydrate). As the others pointed out, the reason for powder vs. liquid are mostly shipping regulations. You just have to dissolve the solid, which should be no problem at all. It can take a little bit, depending on the size of the powder chunks. Try to break big agglomerates down, it will dissolve way faster. Also stirring helps.
Unfortunately, I have never etched before, so I have no idea about the appropriate concentration, but Dr. Google should help you there. If not, I would suggest starting rather dilute (10g in 100ml) and work your way up, if the etching is insufficient.
Hope i could help, good luck!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

That helps a lot actually I will probably just order the powder now and follow the water instructions. Thanks guys!!