News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedals and Beer...

Started by smallpoxchampion, February 12, 2014, 10:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallpoxchampion

Here's an interesting topic I stumbled upon while I was at work the other day. I work at a bar which (go figure) employs a few underachieving musicians such as myself and I got into a conversation with a buddy about how the craft brewing explosion of the past few years (in the US anyway) is starting to show some signs of saturation as there are quite a few breweries out there that really lack character, flavor, style etc. yet command the craft prices. This got me thinking about the "boutique" pedal market and the various companies that I keep stumbling across. When do you think the commercial pedal building world is going to hit a wall? Will it? Conventional capitalist wisdom would suggest it must, but do you think we're in the midst of seeing these niche industries (craft brewing, pedal building, etc) become more diversified as opposed to over-saturated?

Also, I have a bottle opener screwed to the leg of my workbench.

Leevibe

True talent, artistry, innovation rises to the top eventually. The market will sort itself.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Leevibe on February 14, 2014, 07:12:20 AM
True talent, artistry, innovation rises to the top eventually. The market will sort itself.

That's what i thought about the music industry and people like Kanye West and Ke$ha are still around ;D

It's in my opinion becoming diversified. People are engineering their own "taste". I think it's cool. But, I'll still buy Stone Brewery over Sam Addams any day. And I'm born and raise Masshole!

culturejam

Interesting topic of discussion, and one I have seen raised quite a bit recently.

It seems like there have always been small pedal operations. We didn't have widespread knowledge of them before the late 1990s because of internet expansion. And now there are more of them because it is much easier to get your name out, take online orders, etc.

I think the market might be a bit over-saturated right now, but that particular market is very elastic. I suspect there will be a correction of sorts in the near future, but I think it might be a battle of the middle tier. I think those medium players will seek to get bigger by either merging with other mediums, or they will start gobbling up the smaller brands with more cache (read: mojo).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mandrewbot3k

I agree to a point, but the craft beer industry is a little bit more personal. With local brew pubs and community events, its a little different than the pedal industry. There are faces to beer industry, but not as much to the pedal business, ie... most pedal companies don't have a brick and mortar storefront.

But definitely an interesting comparison none-the-less.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the next great pedal maker to make me winter overdrive with star anise and coriander.

EDIT:
I just read this yesterday, so here is a fantastic article about Ken Grossman and Sierra Nevada. Having gone to school in Chico, I can tell you that Ken and that Brewery have done A LOT for the community (mostly by supplying cheap, delicious beer to it's twenty somethings). Ken has a much more interesting approach to the upswing in craft brewing, where he is embracing, and even grooming some of the smaller artisan craft brewers. I also homebrew, because I DIY everything.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2014/02/12/king-of-craft-beer-how-sierra-nevada-is-winning-the-hops-war/
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Leevibe

Quote from: mandrewbot3k on February 14, 2014, 03:27:41 PM
I agree to a point, but the craft beer industry is a little bit more personal. With local brew pubs and community events, its a little different than the pedal industry. There are faces to beer industry, but not as much to the pedal business, ie... most pedal companies don't have a brick and mortar storefront.

Good point.  On the other hand, if one of your pedals lands on the right board, you get the best kind of exposure.

Blues Healer

I don't know about pedals, but the craft brew industry shows no signs of slowing down in San Diego. Last time I checked, there were 65 craft brewers and counting. I can rattle off at least half a dozen 'tasting rooms' within about 5 miles of my place ... this is all great news as far as I'm concerned, and goes hand-in-hand with the American food revolution.
Really the craft brew industry is like the European model of smaller, hand crafted, unique brew houses, and many tasting rooms and smaller bars are more like public meeting houses.
"music heals"

gordo

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 14, 2014, 07:31:02 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on February 14, 2014, 07:12:20 AM

That's what i thought about the music industry and people like Kanye West and Ke$ha are still around ;D

There's a huge difference between people that develop their own taste and the people that accept what the media tells them is good.  In all factions of life...

There's nothing wrong with those artists or Bud Light.  It's just a shame that Gary Cole Jr, a lot of cool builders, and a lot of cool brewers won't get paid a fraction of what they deserve in the grand scheme.

Shameless plug for Sun King brewery out of Indianapolis.  Very limited distribution but worth seeking out...
It's in my opinion becoming diversified. People are engineering their own "taste". I think it's cool. But, I'll still buy Stone Brewery over Sam Addams any day. And I'm born and raise Masshole!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?