News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Superheated Hard On POP!

Started by 2tonewarrior, February 14, 2014, 02:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2tonewarrior

Hi fellas, I´ve made a Superheated Hard On recently and sounds amazing but when I turn on and off the switch there is a huge pop in the amp, no matter the pot is at min. or max.

I´ve tried a pulldown resistor at the input and the output but with no success. It is all my knowledge can do  :-\

little help  ;D?

rullywowr

Cool looking design and pedal.  Looks like you can get some serious boost from the extra fet in there.  How are you wiring your bypass (3PDT?) switch?  Does the popping occur when the status LED is out of the circuit?  Are you sure the effect is grounded when in bypass? 

I highly suggest if all else fails to check out Josh's (1776 effects) Optotron bypass.  As it is optical, it will have less chance of popping when engaging/disengaging as it ramps up the bypass instead of having a 'hard' click.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

2tonewarrior

Too much boost I´d say, you have to decrease the volume on your amp if you don´t want some window glasses broken  8) or the amp itself.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I mean the pop occurs when turn on and off the DPDT not the 3PDT. From normal SHO to Superheated.

Thanks for reply btw

rullywowr

Oh, that makes it clearer.  I'm afraid this is just the nature of the beast.  When you flip the switch, you are essentially disconnecting the power from the BS170 and reconnecting it.  The "pop" is the BS170 getting turned on and off in the "dead" spot of the switch.  It would be the same as if you had a pedal in the on position and plugged in the power (pop!).

There may/may not be a way to put a power buffer (caps and resistor)) in between the BS170 and the supply but I honestly this is a bit above my paygrade.  Another farfetched idea would to put some kind of ducking (volume fade in) when the switch is activated but this would be probably 5x more complex of a circuit than the one you have.

Easiest by far is to just make sure the pedal is off or amp volume down when switching modes.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!