News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Workbench Cleverness

Started by Leevibe, February 15, 2014, 07:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I think the most clever thing on my bench was a riser that sits on top of my desk.  It allows me to put all of my computer monitors on top of that and put most of my equipment below it.  Before that, I didn't have much in the way of workspace.  Now there is plenty of room to accumulate junk.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

bcalla

I picked up a PCB holder on eBay for $6-$7.  Works great for small - medium sized boards, looks like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Rectangle-Circuit-Repair-Holder/dp/B00899XJ3O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392565240&sr=8-3&keywords=pcb+holder

I'll load a bunch of resistors, either bend the leads or use masking tape to secure them, flip over the board & mount it in this for soldering.

Gledison

If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

davent

Cool idea for breadboarding pots Brian. Saw this solution in a photo from Electrosonic, vero and terminal blocks, ran off and made up a few of these, combined with pcb mounting pots... all set.

Used to take off a length solder, coil it around my fingers and solder with that but i'd lose it in the chaos of the bench, drop it on the floor, it would tangle and have to be de-tangled before i could go on, had the bearing to use as a painting turntable, $3.50 at the surplus store so easy re-purpose.

When working on bigger stuff like amps and such, i work on old cookie sheets, keep all the bits and pieces, tools and junk i'm using on the low rimmed sheet and when i need the bench for something else just put the cookie sheet away and have my work surface back again... and another cookie sheet. Keeps everything together for a return to the project.

The cookie sheets are steel and my endoscope base/stand is magnetic so easy to use the endoscope on the wooden workbench, and when the day comes will be able to see those SMD parts on the computer screen for easy soldering.

And of course stole the cable idea from somewhere but can't recall who i need to give credit to.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

madbean

Leevibe

Quote from: madbean on February 16, 2014, 03:04:31 PM
For breadboarding.

Another great idea!

So, what's the best way to cut the SIP sockets?  I never get good clean breaks. I usually end up with chunks of the plastic missing. Sometimes the little sockets go flying and I never find them again.

davent

I use a very fine saw, kerf of .010".
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on February 16, 2014, 09:49:39 PM
I use a very fine saw, kerf of .010".

That's a great idea. I have a flush cut pull saw for flush cutting dowels and plugs. I bet it would work.

Leevibe

Here's another one that I recently started using. I don't like having a laptop on the bench because I worry that I'll splash flux and solder on it and it takes up way too much space. On the other hand, using my iPhone is a pain because the screen is so small.  My wife got me a kindle fire for Christmas and it's the perfect size. (And they're way cheaper than iPads) I just hang it right on the pegboard so it's off my work surface but easily visible. And, yes, I realize I could just print them and use paper.  :)

chromesphere

On the pot connections tip that Lee mentioned before, for those that haven't seen it:

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on February 16, 2014, 09:44:22 PM
For breadboarding.

Another great idea!

So, what's the best way to cut the SIP sockets?  I never get good clean breaks. I usually end up with chunks of the plastic missing. Sometimes the little sockets go flying and I never find them again.

Are yours from Tayda by chance?  I've had a lot of chipping issues with the Tayda ones.  I still buy them sometimes because they are a lot less expensive.  Usually, the best way to avoid chipping is the cut a little on each side with a razor blade.

With the better ones, I've never had any issues.  They are designed to break free cleanly.
Function f(x)

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on February 16, 2014, 10:31:39 PM
For breadboarding.

Another great idea!

Are yours from Tayda by chance?  I've had a lot of chipping issues with the Tayda ones.  I still buy them sometimes because they are a lot less expensive.  Usually, the best way to avoid chipping is the cut a little on each side with a razor blade.

With the better ones, I've never had any issues.  They are designed to break free cleanly.

No, SB. I haven't bought from Tayda yet. I'm a little afraid to!

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on February 16, 2014, 10:51:19 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on February 16, 2014, 10:31:39 PM
For breadboarding.

Another great idea!

No, SB. I haven't bought from Tayda yet. I'm a little afraid to!

I haven't tried any of the SB ones.  I've had good luck with the ones I've gotten from Mouser
Function f(x)

Leevibe

If I have a pot knob that is wanting to drag on the case, I'll use a guitar pick to shim it up while I tighten the set screw.