News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One(s) that got away

Started by Matt, February 16, 2014, 04:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

One(s) that got away.  Musical equipment I sold/traded that I wish I had back. 

1) mid 90's deluxe memory man.   I got rid of it because I didn't like the huge enclosure.

2) Mesa Nomad 45.  Not a popular amp but it had a beautiful clean tone and all around tone that worked well for me.  Sold it when I needed money.

3) Ibanez Destroyer (lawsuit).  It didn't have a ton of value really, a collector sold it to me for $250.  Someone had routed a middle pickup and drilled for a bigsby.  Ouch!!!   A local Luther dressed the frets and itlayee better than any guitar I've ever picked up.  For a time, I didn't play it and figured it was taking up space. 

4) One with a good ending.  I found a 1980 Ibanez Artist on consignment at a local music store.  I had wanted a Les Paul but couldn't afford one.  So I bought this as my poor mans version for $500.  A couple years later, I traded away my Ibanez Artist for a Fender Mexican strat because I really wanted a strat at the time.   Again, at a time when I didn't have much money.  2 weeks after I made the trade, I regretted it.  A few years later, I was selling a Schector strat on craigslist and the guy I traded the ibanez to contacted me.  He didn't like the tone of the ibanez and was happy to make the trade.

Just wish I had the others back....  No luck so far.
Matt

Leevibe

My first pedal build, a GGG TS kit.

Kind of wish I still had that one for nostalgia's sake. I can't say it was a bad decision though because I'm not a fan of the mid hump and I traded it for an ISP Decimator. I can't imagine being without the Decimator unless there's a schematic for it and I can build it smaller.

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: Leevibe on February 16, 2014, 06:19:09 AM

Kind of wish I still had that one for nostalgia's sake. I can't say it was a bad decision though because I'm not a fan of the mid hump and I traded it for an ISP Decimator. I can't imagine being without the Decimator unless there's a schematic for it and I can build it smaller.

Galego did a layout for it on diysb

atreidesheir

I would like to reconnect with any of the 3 arion sch-1 choruses I have sold. 
regret, regret, regret.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

lars

I had a Boss RSD-10 digital delay/sampler that I bought off a used clearance rack for $15 a few years back. Best-sounding/ most versatile digital delay I've ever used. Recently looked up what they go for on Ebay now...not $15.

gtr2

My first guitar.  A Samick (strat) in metallic blue.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

My first guitar, an Ibanez Roadstar II that I airbrushed an exotic flower pattern on the pick guard (a poor man's Jem). I HATE that I sold it as I so badly want to give that guitar to my 6 year old daughter. She would love it  :(

I sometimes peruse ebay hoping it will magically pop up. I would pay a lot to have it back.

jimilee

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on February 16, 2014, 09:16:30 AM

I think there is a layout somewhere around here too. It's where I got mine.
The bass I got rid of,  managed to get it back. My brother years ago said, man don;t get rid of gear" and I haven't. I got stuff coming out my ears, my first bass, the first guitar I ever bought by myself....I do wish i hadn't trashed a peavey bass head from the 60's, I could have probably fixed it now that I know how.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

Quote from: jimilee on February 17, 2014, 03:58:19 AM

The bass I got rid of,  managed to get it back. My brother years ago said, man don;t get rid of gear" and I haven't. I got stuff coming out my ears, my first bass, the first guitar I ever bought by myself....I do wish i hadn't trashed a peavey bass head from the 60's, I could have probably fixed it now that I know how.

Cool! I will look into that. I love the pedal but it is a brick. It would at least be a candidate for a rehouse. Maybe in a barebox? But that chrome is cool too. Hmmm
Did yours work first try?

jimilee

Quote from: Leevibe on February 17, 2014, 04:03:49 AM
Quote from: jimilee on February 17, 2014, 03:58:19 AM

Did yours work first try?
Sure did. I had to ask someone how to bias it, but no issues at all.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bcalla

Let's see, what got away?  Everything I owned / used in the 60s.   :-[

My first (real) guitar - 1968 Strat, white with maple fretboard.  Sold it in the early 70s.
My 1964 Fender Concert amp.  Sold it in the early 70s.
My mid-late 60s Princeton Reverb & Vibro Champ.  Not 100% sure what happened to those, but I think I threw one of them in the trash when my parents asked me to get rid of my old crap in their house.
Late 60s Kustom 100, teal Naugahyde tuck & roll.   Sold it in the early 70s.

At least I kept the acoustic I bought with my strat money - 1971 Martin D-28.

Leevibe

Quote from: bcalla on February 17, 2014, 05:31:55 AM

My first (real) guitar - 1968 Strat, white with maple fretboard.  Sold it in the early 70s.
My mid-late 60s Princeton Reverb & Vibro Champ.  Not 100% sure what happened to those, but I think I threw one of them in the trash when my parents asked me to get rid of my old crap in their house.

Don't feel too bad bcalla. Some day people will be wishing they never got rid of their variaxes, pods, and zooms.

alanp

One good thing about being a hoarder/packrat. (As opposed to the unfortunately common tendency to sell everything that's worth more than two cents to get some guitar/pedal/amp that will solve ALL your problems, only to find that, while it's a damn nice guitar/amp/pedal, it's still a physical object, and not some magic fairy dust. And then wishing you hadn't sold everything to get the damn thing.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

slimtriggers

Quote from: bcalla on February 17, 2014, 05:31:55 AM

I'm glad this had a somewhat happy ending.  I was on the verge of tears  :'(

LaceSensor

My first Lovetone Flanger I sold for £270 when I was a poor student.
Id get a least 2.5X that today on EBay.... :/