News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Proper tools for tightening nuts

Started by rullywowr, February 17, 2014, 08:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

When I first started, I would often use pliers to tighten pot nuts, 3pdt nuts, switch nuts, etc...(I'm sure we have all been there at some point).  Of course, this is prone to marring your finish, slipping off the nut, and leaving scratch marks.

I then started to use my tools from the garage but it was always a pain sharing between the two and keeping track of where my sockets and ratchet were..

I contemplated getting a deep well nutdriver set but they are usually pricey, plus I don't need a whole set..just 4 common sizes.  Combination wrenches would work too, but are not as fast as a screwdriver handle.

A few months ago, I found the perfect affordable solution.  I went to my local cheap Chinese tool store (Harbor Freight Tools) and got a color coded deep well socket set (mm) like this (about $10USD):

Paired with a 1/4" screwdriver-handled driver like this (about $5usd) ...they make a beautiful team.  Mine is similar (not telescoping) but you get the idea.

I keep 4 of these color coded sockets and the handle close by on my bench (which fit 16mm pots, 1/4" jacks, 3PDT, and toggles) and its super easy to remove/tighten any pedal hardware.  The color coded sockets are sweet because its easy to know that green=pots and so forth.  I wish I did this a couple years ago but I figured I would share with you, in case you don't have a dedicated set.  :)

I'm curious for those who already have a dedicated set of tools, are you using the same?  What is your tool of choice?

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

I'm fortunate. When I got married, I got to use some the the gift cards to get some tools. I got a massive tool set including a full set of both Metric and Imperial sockets in multiple sizes and depths with tonnes of extras from Sears. The Craftsman warranty is awesome.

I don't have a garage, so I keep a fully stocked toolbox with drawers in my workspace.

I keep the 4-6 sizes I use the most on my desk in front of me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

I use this for everything (metric, standard, whatever you got):

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pryde

I use the extended socket nut drivers as well. BUT, this simple little spanner wrench is always in my shop apron and will quickly tighten any pedal/amp/guitar nut without any marring. I can't live without it

Leevibe

I use deep sockets too, but I also use this.  I bought it for guitar jacks because you can tighten the jack from the outside without it spinning. I found it's handy to keep at the bench for jacks. It's plastic so it won't ever mar and it's just quick and easy to use. I use internal tooth washers on jacks so I don't really need this to keep them from spinning but it's still what I grab when I install jacks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/allparts-bullet-guitar-jack-tightener

rullywowr

This is great guys, keep it coming!  I appreciate you sharing your 'weapon of choice' when it comes to tightening nuts.  The ESP spanner and Crescent adjustable are on my short list to try out. 

While I do like Snap-On tools....having a Craftsman tool in your box means you can always get a free replacement, even on a Sunday afternoon in the event one ever breaks on you.  Snap-On makes great stuff, but if you break one on a weekend...you gotta chase the Snap-On guy down to get a replacement.  Craftsman will always have a place in my tool arsenal. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Gledison

Quote from: pryde on February 17, 2014, 09:15:27 PM
I use the extended socket nut drivers as well. BUT, this simple little spanner wrench is always in my shop apron and will quickly tighten any pedal/amp/guitar nut without any marring. I can't live without it
Hey Pride! it looks quite handy this one!
i want one!!!!!!!!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

pryde

Quote from: Gledison on February 17, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
i want one!!!!!!!!

Here you go. Might be cheaper elsewhere but I shop stewmac for most of my luthier supplies
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/ESP_Multi_Spanner.html

Gledison

Quote from: pryde on February 17, 2014, 10:21:24 PM
Quote from: Gledison on February 17, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
i want one!!!!!!!!

Here you go. Might be cheaper elsewhere but I shop stewmac for most of my luthier supplies
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/ESP_Multi_Spanner.html
I want to move to US! U guys have everything over there! Im jealous!!!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

davent

To enhance the grip of nut drivers on the thin nuts used for electronic components i ground them down so the bevel you see inside the sockets is gone, end of slippage.

Have one of those StewMac spanners as well, they're great, how else would you tighten a knurled round nut without one?

To protect the enclosure  while tightening the nuts, cut some strips from transparency plastic, used a Olfa circle cutter to cut various sized holes in them slightly bigger then the different sizes of nuts. Place them around nut and the wrench doesn't touch the finished surface of the enclosure.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jkokura

That enclosure protection is brilliant.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lincolnic

Quote from: culturejam on February 17, 2014, 09:13:50 PM
I use this for everything (metric, standard, whatever you got):

Tell us more about this guy? I think I want one.

alanp

I've got two spanners sized for pots and switches, and I use an adjustable wrench thingy for everything else (an old fashioned one, not a trendy one like all the cool kids use.)

Used a pair of pliers for the first few builds, they are a sucktastic solution to this problem.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Quote from: davent on February 17, 2014, 11:31:21 PM
To enhance the grip of nut drivers on the thin nuts used for electronic components i ground them down so the bevel you see inside the sockets is gone, end of slippage.

Have one of those StewMac spanners as well, they're great, how else would you tighten a knurled round nut without one?

To protect the enclosure  while tightening the nuts, cut some strips from transparency plastic, used a Olfa circle cutter to cut various sized holes in them slightly bigger then the different sizes of nuts. Place them around nut and the wrench doesn't touch the finished surface of the enclosure.

What a bloody brilliant idea. Simple and effective.

Why did I never think of that!

muddyfox

Quote from: raulduke on February 18, 2014, 03:24:52 PM
What a bloody brilliant idea. Simple and effective.

Why did I never think of that!

That is a great idea! Right now I'm just using a few strips of painters masking tape across the enclosure around the pots and jacks, prevents the enclosure contact just fine but this is reusable!  ;D