News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lil' Toobie with DEMO. TH Customs Tube Driver

Started by pryde, March 16, 2015, 09:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Here is my Tube Driver from TH Custom Effects. I spent a considerable amount of time working the baxandall tone stack values to come up with a bit warmer drive with more flexibility but it still has a lot of "raw-grit" to it. I tried some different tubes and as others said a 12AU7 or T7 sounds good but I have an NOS Jan Phillips 5751 that sounds the best in this one to me. It is a cool drive with a gritty-unique sound for sure. I actually will use it a lot on my amp repair bench for driving power amps as it has ridiculous amounts of output  :)

Not sure why but my demo tracks got off-sync? Or maybe it was just my bad timing but you get an idea of tone nonetheless  ;D

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/lil-toobie[/soundcloud]

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Guitarmageddon

Looks great!
I wanted to smooth it a little too, but was too lazy to mess with the tone stack...I just used a 12AU7 and ran a 100pf to ground before the volume. :)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

micromegas

Soooo elegant.

I dig that faceplate a lot, and the thing sounds awesome. I have a collection of ceramic slides that would pair perfectly with that one  ;) .....tasty grittines.

Now that I have praised your build I have only one thing to add:  GUTS, we want GUTS  ;D
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

nzCdog

Very tidy work, as usual.  Looks great with the LED under the tube, great job!  :)

pryde

Quote from: micromegas on March 16, 2015, 04:22:16 PM
Soooo elegant.

I dig that faceplate a lot, and the thing sounds awesome. I have a collection of ceramic slides that would pair perfectly with that one  ;) .....tasty grittines.

Now that I have praised your build I have only one thing to add:  GUTS, we want GUTS  ;D

Thank you for the kind words. I just included a gut shot in the OP. For those interested I simply used a bolt and a few nuts for the regulator heat sink. It does get quite hot but I had it running for over an hour and it was stable. If this were a customer build I would mount it to the enclosure just to be safe.