News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wampler Pinnacle

Started by billstein, February 17, 2014, 04:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on February 18, 2014, 07:08:52 PM
I'm 99.9% sure its simply black FR4 etched.  Then you mask off the copper you want to keep and apply MG Chemicals "Liquid Tin" for the silver color.  Finally, clear coat it and voila!  There ya have it. 

Bill's face place looks great!  Nice job.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and I apologize for not getting back sooner. My day started at 6;30 this morning and I'm just getting back now after 11:00 and I still have to do some work before I go to bed to prepare for a 6;30 am meeting tomorrow morning.

I'll get around on answering the questions for both the Pinnacle and Paisley build as soon as I can (probably Thursday). The quote here is right, it is simply FR4 and "Liquid tin" with the areas masked off that I want to remain copper.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll get around to building again and try to produce a pictorial. That would be a lot easier than trying to type out an explanation. Plus, it would be really nice to give something back to the community.

Thanks again for the encouraging words. I appreciate it. Now off to preparing for tomorrow.

Here is a link to the Paisley build which takes this technique a bit further.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13984.0

Guybrush

It looks really good. Thanks for the info. Definitely going to give it a try.

Any UK Madbeaners know of anywhere on our small isle that stocks coloured FR4? Ebay only comes up with US stockists.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

muddyfox

Please share if you do find a source, I found one in Switzerland but it costs about the same as abcfab on ebay. Also found one in Germany (?) but they obviously don't respond to email.

billstein

Quote from: muddyfox on February 20, 2014, 12:37:34 AM

Please share if you do find a source, I found one in Switzerland but it costs about the same as abcfab on ebay. Also found one in Germany (?) but they obviously don't respond to email.

Maybe you could get a groupbuy on some of the FR-4 from abcfab. You should contact him, he's very helpful and quick to respond. See if he could discount a volume buy enough to make it worth the shipping etc. I may be way off base here but it might be worth a quick email to see if it is a possibility.
If you do this make sure you're talking about the 1 oz copper FR-4. My first order I purchased 2 oz and it takes forever to etch.

add4

Did you finally come up with a pictorial on how to make these faceplates?

still interested :)

Quote from: billstein on February 17, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
Wampler Pinnacle built on vero. Still trying to get the hang of keeping the offboard wiring neat. Really nice sounding pedal.

diablochris6

Great job! As everyone says, that faceplate is killer. I really enjoy this circuit. I designed a PCB of it with the boost switch on a toggle. Such a wide range of killer tones!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

flanagan0718

GOOD LORD! This is a beauty! I agree with add4. A pictorial would be greatly appreciated.

billstein

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 16, 2015, 10:51:42 AM
GOOD LORD! This is a beauty! I agree with add4. A pictorial would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. I did a sizing tutorial here.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=14599.msg136305#msg136305

I'm starting to work on some tips on the actual artwork tonight.

nzCdog

woah this is slick!  can't believe I missied this build earier, wd 8)

Strassercaster

Quote from: billstein on February 17, 2014, 08:08:29 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. I'll work up a detailed post about how I've been doing the faceplates. Right now I'm a bit rushed. My son just came home and I want to spend time with him. Priorities!

As far as the tagboard instructions on the vero. That changed my life. :) I copy and paste it into illustrator and shrink it down to the correct size and it takes all the confusion away. Vero suddenly became simple, except of course for the off board wiring. That is still of the devil.

Thanks again.
Ha ha irst off Fantastic job. Greaty idea for the vero as well. The offboard wiring takes me 2-3 hours on every pedal when doing vero. I try to go faster and it always seems to take longer than cutting drilling and populating the vero. Is it just me??? I do use 9v adapter and run shielded wire on inputs and outputs on all my pedals but man its a time eater that is for sure.

billstein