News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Essential Reading

Started by Leevibe, February 19, 2014, 06:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm so excited! I got this book as a birthday present from my sister. Borrowing this book from a friend five years ago sparked my interest in building guitar electronics. Now I have my own copy! I can't wait to read it through now that I have some knowledge and experience. If you haven't read it, you should! He wrote a follow up book about effects, which is great, but in my opinion the amp book is the better one.

Come to think of it, I'd be interested to know if there are any other guitar electronics books I should read.

mattlee0037

All about vacuum tube guitar amplifiers by Gerald Weber is a good read!

Leevibe

Quote from: mattlee0037 on February 19, 2014, 06:28:45 AM
All about vacuum tube guitar amplifiers by Gerald Weber is a good read!

Cool. It's now on the list

drezdn

I love Dave Hunter's stuff.

pryde

Great book there and is a must read for any tube amp junkie.

More essential reading is Jack Darr's Guitar Amplifier Handbook. Its old but packed full of techie info. If you search around on the interwebz you can download pdfs of it for free.

davent

Good place to start for tube stuff would be Merlin's site. His book on preamp design is very good expanding greatly on the website info. The website looks at power supplies/grounding and power amps as well as preamps (and a few original pedal designs.)

Merlin shows up regularly at diystompboxes and various other amp building forums as well has had stuff published in AudioXpress magazine.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on February 19, 2014, 04:49:04 PM
Good place to start for tube stuff would be Merlin's site. His book on preamp design is very good expanding greatly on the website info. The website looks at power supplies/grounding and power amps as well as preamps (and a few original pedal designs.)

Merlin shows up regularly at diystompboxes and various other amp building forums as well has had stuff published in AudioXpress magazine.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/

Awesome resource!

brucer

That's a really, really great book.  Nice blend of technical detail and common language, always looping back to tone and amp-player interaction.  It inspired me to learn soldering and build the amp project at the end of the book.  Love the amp.  A lot.  That experience and Madbean gave me the courage to try building pedals, now I've built three!  Thank you Dave Hunter.  Thank you Madbean.

Gledison

Hi Guys,
there is something as well regarding effects electronics?
That would be great.
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Leevibe

Quote from: brucer on February 20, 2014, 05:10:19 AM
That's a really, really great book.  Nice blend of technical detail and common language, always looping back to tone and amp-player interaction.  It inspired me to learn soldering and build the amp project at the end of the book.  Love the amp.  A lot.  That experience and Madbean gave me the courage to try building pedals, now I've built three!  Thank you Dave Hunter.  Thank you Madbean.

I never built the Two Stroke but I've built others and it is so rewarding.

Leevibe

Quote from: Gledison on February 20, 2014, 10:10:46 AM
Hi Guys,
That would be great.
Cheers

Here's a link to Dave Hunter's book on effects. It's a great book but you might feel like you already know all the info. If I remember right he's mostly just describing what each different type of effect does. There are schematics but they are there more as artwork and they aren't necessarily accurate to the pedals being discussed. The schematic in the analog delay section is like that. I remember looking at it going "wow, delays are so simple!"  Ha!!

It does come with a CD that gives sound samples of many different effects.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0879308060

brucer

Hi Guys,
That would be great.
Cheers

Hey Gledison.

I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet, but I've seen some good comments on these books:

The Stompbox Cookbook: Build Advanced Effects for Electric Guitar & Bass by Nicholas Boscorelli

Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects by Tom Hughes

Electronic Projects for Musicians by Craig Anderton

Can't vouch for them personally, so YMMV.

Bruce.

Leevibe

Thanks for all the good recommendations. Keep 'em coming. My amazon wish list is about to get long.

Gledison

Quote from: brucer on February 20, 2014, 04:32:43 PM
Hi Guys,
That would be great.
Cheers

Hey Gledison.

I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet, but I've seen some good comments on these books:

The Stompbox Cookbook: Build Advanced Effects for Electric Guitar & Bass by Nicholas Boscorelli

Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects by Tom Hughes

Electronic Projects for Musicians by Craig Anderton

Can't vouch for them personally, so YMMV.

Bruce.
That´s great Bruce.
[edit] i´ve ordered 2 already. The "electronic projects for musicians" i´ve found the pdf online. I did a quick look and just ordered the book. IMO there is lots of usefull info for noobs overthere :P 
here the link if someone is interested: http://zhagun.ru/book.pdf

Thanks mate!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?