News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Madbean Build: Rump Roast!

Started by romo, March 19, 2011, 03:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romo

I've built a few easy pedals from GGG and BYOC before I stumbled across this place.  The Rump Roast project really intrigued me, so I ordered the board and parts from Small Bear a few weeks ago.  I actually own a Carmen Ghia, but it stays at home a lot because I play mostly out mostly at church and smaller coffee shop kind of places where I use a clone of a Vox AC4 (built by a friend of mine) which I mic to keep the stage volume down.  I RR definitely has a lot of the qualities of the amp.  Sounds great as an overdrive and does have tons of volume if you need a really big boost. 

I wired mine as a hybrid.  I accidentally ordered axial electrolytics but they worked our ok.  The only real problem I had was biasing the transistors.  I had the trims all the way turned to one side but still only got about 4V.  I said what the heck, and wired it all up and then it didn't work!  Turned out the battery I used when biasing was no good, and when it had a proper power supply the voltages on the transistors were way off and it couldn't make any sound.  Lesson learned: use good power!  Anyway, here are the photos!

night-B

Nicely done! I love my rump roast too  ;)

petesz

Looks great! Love the clean finish, colour and choice of knobs. Also that's cool how you mounted the switches on the side. Might have to build myself one of these too.. Man there's too many projects I wanna do!

romo

Quote from: petesz on March 19, 2011, 10:49:10 PM
Looks great! Love the clean finish, colour and choice of knobs. Also that's cool how you mounted the switches on the side. Might have to build myself one of these too.. Man there's too many projects I wanna do!

Thanks!  With the small enclosure, I didn't want the top of the pedal to be too busy so I put the switches on the side.  I think it worked out well with those short switches.  There are quite a few madbean projects I would like to build as well.  I'm pretty sure my next order is going to be for several boards.

jcuempire

Nice job.  I like the switches on the side, too.  Great sounding pedal

gtr2

I love it!  Nice and neat, gut shot too!  ;D

Very nice work.

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer