News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller- low output

Started by frugalamps, February 20, 2014, 06:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frugalamps

Hi- Have a functioning Cave Dweller but upon engagement, can't get output up to unity even maxed.  Is there a place to zero in on or just go through every component?  Unit works fine otherwise, just very low output.

midwayfair

Is it the delay output that's too quiet, or both delay and dry?

frugalamps

Just the delay, bypassed volume is fine

ddog

Did you try another PT2399 Chip?

Check the connections (and value compared to the BOM) of the Echo Pot. When my Dwell is fully CCW, the echo pot acts as a volume for me. Maybe your echo doesn't properly work and is permanently low

midwayfair

Quote from: frugalamps on February 21, 2014, 11:44:39 AM
Just the delay, bypassed volume is fine

If it's just a little quieter than unity with the echo maxed, it's working properly.

Not really much that can be done about the echo being a little below unity. The only amplification done in the PT2399 is also affecting the dry signal as well, and there's no where to knock down the level of just the dry signal assuming you can get any extra volume out of it to begin with. Further, the filtering on the dry signal is going to make it a lot darker than the unaffected signal, so it's going to SOUND quieter regardless.

This isn't really appropriate as a slap-back style delay. It's more like a reverb. If you want a delay whose repeats can smack you in the face, you'll have to build one of the zero points (which have more room for adjustment) or one of the many, many other PT2399 delays with full dry and wet signal paths.

bardkin

Can anyone tell me what the output voltage should be? I am interested in building a second one, and want them to be as equal as possible- I want to tie them together into a panning setup for my stereo amplifier.