News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Source for right angle 1/4"

Started by jubal81, February 21, 2014, 04:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I think it's time to make some patch cables. Tayda, of course, has some really cheap 1/4" plugs, but I'm dubious. Any reviews or alternatives?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

The Tayda pancakes are utter rubbish.  I haven't tried their standard right angles.

I think the Amphenol right angles are nice and can be had inexpensively from redco.

http://www.redco.com/Amphenol-ACPM-RB.html

The gold ones are about 30 cents more per plug, if you care about that sort of thing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

slimtriggers

+1 on the sucktitude of the Tayda pancakes.  Absolutely worthless.

I have THESE Neutriks on my board.  They've been trouble free for several years, although I don't play out so YMMV.  They're a bit on the large side, too, if that matters. 

I used an Amphenol connector to repair the plug on my headphones recently and was VERY impressed by the quality of that connector.

jubal81

Yeah, I was suspicious they'd be crap.
Compiling a shopping cart at Redco now. I'd like to stick to non-plastic options, though. The Redco-branded right-angles I like are $2.75 - kinda ouchy. Amphenols are kinda big.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

The Amphenols are indeed kinda big.  I wish I could find something that was the size of George L right angle but soldered.  Oh, and not $6 a piece.  Is that too much to ask?

At least the Amphenols aren't plastic.  The black looks plastic, but isn't.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Can't help but eyeball the deals on eBay now. Might not even end up saving any money over Redco after paying for shipping, though.
- David Fair

miter53

"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

PhiloB

Just bought 2 non-pancake right angles from Tayda and they seem fine.  Just built a 'longer' cable for my board.  No issues (yet).  Works fine.  Feels sturdy.

brucer

I recent picked up 20 GLS Audio 1/4" right angle pancake plugs from Orange County Speaker (http://www.speakerrepair.com) for $29.99.  Paired them up with Mogami W2319 cable from Redco ($0.44/ft).  Very happy with the quality so far.  Very happy that the pancakes have solder tabs for both tip and sleeve. 

jkokura

I've used the GLS pancakes and prefer them. Neturik or GHS or Switchcraft all make top notch stuff.

I've tried some of the Chandler stuff that Mammoth carries and it's alright.

Look into Redco for getting your materials. They have very good prices on ends and Cable.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

micromegas

I use these :

Cheaper than Amphenol & Neutrik ones but well built and robust. Made in Germany.

The same brand (under the name of "Sommer Cable") makes some high quality cable too. Every cable I use now is from them.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

playpunk

The best source for the 229 ends is Lava Cable direct.

I have their mini-plug soldered cables on my board, and they seem very nice.
"my legend grows" - playpunk