News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

boobtube twin revisited

Started by juansolo, February 23, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on February 24, 2014, 11:07:38 AM
It's the only gain stage. the 12AU7 is being used as a pair of cathode followers.

Oh! sorry :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Thomas_H

This is an interesting step you are taking here.
I am a little lost with the 1W/2W 10k dimension between Va and Vb.
Is this for safety or how much current do you expect the plates to eat?

DIY-PCBs and projects:

juansolo

Cleggy will have the definitive answer to that one as it's very likely I'm about to be wrong ;) I think it is to essentially decouple the tubes as it's not recommended to have them running on the same feed...

The plates pull very little current which is why we can get away with 190V from 9V. The major current draw is the heaters.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

marauder

On a JCM800 that resistor is a 2W one, all the others are 1/2W.  Not sure why, but just be safe I used a higher rated one than normal.  A 1/4W would probably work, but the cost of a few pennies, it's not worth risking.

All the other resistors are 1/4W on the pedal.  I think they are 1/2W as they can also take more voltage, 1/4W can typically take 250V according to the specs, and the real amp would be well over 250V at some points.

We played it through the loop return on my Laney today, it's pretty amazing, and very quiet for a highish gain pedal.  It seems the internal layout is good for noise, and I've got an idea for another one after the revisited baby boobtube.

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

alanp

It's also usually a flameproof metal oxide resistor.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Quote from: marauder on February 26, 2014, 12:17:52 PM
I've got an idea for another one after the revisited baby boobtube.

I don't know what you have in mind, but a Tube Trem or Comp....would be killer! ;D

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Something orange...

anyhow here's a pic of the outside as I had the camera out:

brejna

I've seen all those tube pedals that you've build and it would be plesure to watch video of them   :)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: brejna on March 04, 2014, 11:37:19 AM
I've seen all those tube pedals that you've build and it would be plesure to watch video of them   :)

Today i was thinking of pumping out couple Demo's... i have the BabyBoobTube and BoobTube here... running them directly into the effect return of the amp... it's simply delicious!

And.... Orange.... that's a nice color! :P ;D

brejna

Then you have to share those tasty tones with us :D

sonolink

Does anyone know why I can't see ANY of the links or pics posted on the messages please?
Why sleep when you can mix?

sonolink

Why sleep when you can mix?

juansolo

I changed my hosting... I'll fix them, but if you go to the site they're all in tube pedals anyhow.

FWIW, removed 'demon' from the link and they will work (I'll do that now).

nzCdog

No more demons then? ;D
Always been a Boobtoob kinda guy... hotness in and out, great buildin