News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

boobtube twin revisited

Started by juansolo, February 23, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Yeah that's in the right place as per Cleggy's suggestion.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

sonolink

Great!!
Thanks John. I'll keep you guys posted!!!
Cheers  ;)
Sono
Why sleep when you can mix?

sonolink

BTW, It´s a Hammond 1590BB box you used?

Cheers
Sono

juansolo

1590XX

A BB would be very snug!

sonolink

Good thing I asked hehehe!!
Thanks mate! ;)

sonolink

I'm trying to cut down on things as much as possible since I now have more switches and knobs than the original project. So I'm thinking of customizing a double gang pot to have a single Master knob that depending on SW4 position would act as 1Mlog or 100klog Master output. (It's a matter of swapping wafers basically)

On the same line of thought I'd like to ask: is the Presence knob really necessary? Is it's role rather important?

juansolo

Quote from: sonolink on May 05, 2017, 09:20:51 AM

I'm trying to cut down on things as much as possible since I now have more switches and knobs than the original project. So I'm thinking of customizing a double gang pot to have a single Master knob that depending on SW4 position would act as 1Mlog or 100klog Master output. (It's a matter of swapping wafers basically)

On the same line of thought I'd like to ask: is the Presence knob really necessary? Is it's role rather important?

It can be a trimmer as you only need to change it really depending on what you plug it into amp-wise. If it's always the same amp it can be set and forget.

sonolink

Great!! I'll definitely go for that then. A trimmer inside will give me more room :)

Thanks John!!
Cheers
Sono

sonolink

Probably a dumb question but I've been checking the pics of the guts you have posted along the thread and cannot figure out what you use to hold the boards in place!! They look like they're floating held by the cables!! Could you share what you use please? :)

Cheers
Sono

juansolo

Part of it is the cables as it's all solid core in those builds. But the board is secured to the back of the pots using Scotch tape.

sonolink

PaulL

Lovely.

I agree about using tubes at higher voltages. They just don't seem to sing otherwise.

I just let the wires hold the board in place too. I was worried until now.

sonolink

Maybe a dumb question but lately I've been asking myself:

Why a 9v converter? If it needs nearly 2A to work and the best way to feed it is with a separate PSU such as the Truetone One Spot why not have directly a 240VAC input?

Just out of curiosity :)
Cheers
Sono

m-Kresol

I would guess it's because standard centre negative plugs and cables are not made for such high voltages. Also, you would need another circuitry internally for heaters.

not to speak of high voltage dangers..
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

sonolink

Sorry what I meant is why not going directly from a 240VAC outlet into the pedal and inside the pedal have a PSU converting that into whatever is needed by the effect? After all we're using a One Spot that converts 240VAC into 9v, and inside the pedal the charge pump is converting those 9V into 190VDC and 6V for the effect...

Just wondering... :)
Oh and of course I wouldn't use a standard coaxial DC cable for that... :)
Cheers
Sono