News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#saynotovelcro: a (kinda) new pedalboard design by temple audio (let's diy it!)

Started by brand0nized, February 25, 2014, 05:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

Just saw this pedalboard in a NAAM video.

It basically has a bunch of holes on it, and you buy their fasteners which are sticky pads with a screw hole on the other side, and then screw it to the board. The board has larger holes spread throughout to run cables underneath the board.

With all the DIY pedalboards out there, I'm sure the community could hack this together in no time!
As for the locking part, you could use a type of threaded bushing like the one below on the bottom lid of all the pedals we make and use wing nuts to fasten them to DIY pedalboards. We could even place velcro around it and have the best of both worlds!

Any ideas for good bushing sizes and where to get them?

jkokura

Yeah, as soon as I heard the price I was like, "I'm out."

I don't know what's making them more expensive than Pedaltrain, but Pedaltrain certainly is more cost effective in comparison.

The big question I had too was, what happens if my pedal comes off that plate? Is the plate removable if I want to sell a pedal? Can I reapply a plate to a new pedal? What if I want more of the plates, or if I only have ones that are the wrong size?

Don't get me wrong, but I think Velcro, as non-perfect as it is, is at least cheaper on the wallet and certainly more easily found.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

brand0nized

Quote from: jkokura on February 25, 2014, 06:39:07 AM
Yeah, as soon as I heard the price I was like, "I'm out."

What are they priced as? I guess I just assumed something so simple would be uber expensive :)

jkokura

The Jr Sized Pedalboard is $199, but it doesn't come with a case. The Case is additional $175 I think.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

brand0nized

Damn. We should all start bending some aluminum and start our own businesses of handy guitar pedal innovations...

muddyfox

Quote from: jkokura on February 25, 2014, 06:39:07 AM

The big question I had too was, what happens if my pedal comes off that plate? Is the plate removable if I want to sell a pedal? Can I reapply a plate to a new pedal? What if I want more of the plates, or if I only have ones that are the wrong size?

From what I've seen, not much happens. The plate is attached to the bottom of the pedal with doublesided sticky tape, so you can reapply it to other pedals (although scraping tape leftovers is quite a hassle in my book).

If you want more plates, they apparently cost $5-7 and come in three sizes (I'm guessing A/B/BB).

And yes, it's ridiculously overpriced, methinks.

flanagan0718

I use these (see picture). They are just a bunch of split bike chain links. Works great and holds strong. I have a Grom board (pine) so i can imagine that they wouldn't work on a pedal train.

brand0nized

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 25, 2014, 02:53:33 PM
I use these (see picture). They are just a bunch of split bike chain links. Works great and holds strong. I have a Grom board (pine) so i can imagine that they wouldn't work on a pedal train.

Whats your process if you want to switch out a pedal?

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

jubal81

I always wondered what's wrong with magnets. Find some doughnut-shaped neo magnets and put the pedal plate screws through them so the bottom of your pedal has four magnetic feet.

EDIT:
Just found these on the bay. Hmm.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

flanagan0718

They are thin enough that the stock screws are still used to mount these to the pedal to the board. As far as switching entire pedals out...I don't play in a band anymore and have a small board at home. It's made from a Grom shelf from Ikea so random holes don't bug me that much.

brand0nized

Quote from: jubal81 on February 25, 2014, 03:08:57 PM
I always wondered what's wrong with magnets. Find some doughnut-shaped neo magnets and put the pedal plate screws through them so the bottom of your pedal has four magnetic feet.

EDIT:
Just found these on the bay. Hmm.

Ooh very interesting idea.. would magnets have any negative effects on the electronics?

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk

billstein

I've been thinking of doing this. Did you use a bike chain and split it apart yourself or buy the chain links already split.

flanagan0718

Quote from: billstein on February 25, 2014, 04:49:51 PM

I've been thinking of doing this. Did you use a bike chain and split it apart yourself or buy the chain links already split.

I bought them split but I'm sure if you have a dremel or drill it's not that hard. Did wonders for me.

crashguitar

I bought a bike chain and split it myself. I don't own a chain tool, so I used a nut under the chain, and then used a hammer and a punch. It was not hard.
I was wondering about using this method and some sort of wing nut that could be hand tightened or loosened. That is as far as I have gotten on that thought, however.

Chad

alanp

Magnets won't hold aluminium. They'll have to either hold the screws for the enclosures, or the guts (highly unlikely, and highly undesirable.)

Think I'll stick with my refrigerator rack for now.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website