News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Just seen The Bridge (original) season 2, followed by Braquo seasons 1&2 and Game of Thrones season 2. Need to pick up season 3 of GoT and crack on with that next.

For someone who doesn't watch TV, I do seem to watch a lot of TV programmes...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

steveperiod

It's been said a couple of times, but True Detective. Oh my goodness. Definitely my favorite thing on TV at the moment. If you have HBO (or access to an HBOGo account) do yourself a favor and watch that show. Really love The Americans too. As far as stuff no longer on the air, the third to last episode of Breaking Bad (Ozymandias) might be the best thing I've ever seen on TV.

I wanted to like The Walking Dead. I really, really did. Was a huge fan of the first few dozen issues of the comic but then it started to suck. The show just never grabbed me at all.

catfud

Quote from: atreidesheir on March 05, 2014, 02:50:31 PM
Walking Dead is terrible and I still watch it.
Yep, it's the bleakest doom-laden car crash in ultra-slow motion that I've seen for ages. With zombies. So it's compelling viewing, obviously...

Mike B.

Quote from: steveperiod on March 05, 2014, 02:54:17 PM
It's been said a couple of times, but True Detective. Oh my goodness. Definitely my favorite thing on TV at the moment. If you have HBO (or access to an HBOGo account) do yourself a favor and watch that show.

I'll throw another endorsement out there for True Detective. It helps that Harrelson and McConoughey are top notch actors, but that is one hell of a well written and directed series.

Haberdasher

there's probably not much canadian tv worth watching (sorry jacob), but they had a series a while back called Intelligence about some weed dealers that ran a strip club, and the govt agents that were investigating them.  it got canceled it after only 2 seasons, arrghhh!  i sincerely hope someone got fired over the cancellation, because that show freaking ruled.  anybody besides me ever watch it?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

stevie1556

I split with my cheating ex last year (after the whole wedding was booked) and moved back to my parents. I didn't have a Sky box in my room at first so I used Netflix through my xbox. Really got into some TV shows that I'd never heard of. I loved Dexter, White Collar, Breaking Bad (stupidly slow story line but it was awesome). Just started watching The Sopranos again as I love mafia stuff, The Walking Dead (a zombi invasion will happen someday), Suits, Sons Of Anarchy, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, How It's Made, and a few others. Generally, I just have the TV on in the back ground while I'm doing other stuff.

Quick question for the American guys, the prices they say they are going to sell the stuff they find in the storage lockers in Storage Wars, are they over inflated, or is that genuinely how much they can sell the stuff for?

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

atreidesheir

generally speaking, those prices are real only if you find a wealthy motivated buyer.  real-world is usually about 25% of their quotes.  The show is scripted and the items in the storage spaces are planted.  So the financial aspect is as real as the medical part of 'House'.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jkokura

Quote from: Haberdasher on March 05, 2014, 03:34:30 PM
there's probably not much canadian tv worth watching (sorry jacob)...

Occasionally we get super awesome shows that come out of Canada. You'd also be pretty interested to know exactly how many shows that are shot in Canada. Vancouver and Toronto get a lot of American shows/films shot there. It's cheaper you see.

Some of the best out of Canada:
Corner Gas
Degrassi (all of them)
Trailer Park Boys
Flashpoint
Kids in the Hall
Lost Girl
Vikings
The Littlest Hobo
Dragons Den (Became Shark Tank in the states)
Mr Dressup
Fraggle Rock
The Racoons
SCTV (Canadian SNL)
Today's Special
Being Erica
Due South

And of Course... Hockey Night in Canada (One of the longest running shows of all time. It started on the Radio, before there was TV, and has never taken a season off)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

It's a doco series, but "Cities of the Underworld" is bloody amazing. Loved it for years, now. Shame it seems to have topped out at season 3.

"Deadliest Warrior" is interesting, but take things with a grain of salt. (A badly under-resourced general with kludged up cannons, up against someone with finely machined artillery, and the nous to use it... who wins? If you guessed the American, despite everything going against him, you'd be right!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Another big Breaking Bad fan here. Probably the best series I've ever watched. I cannot recommend that one highly enough.

Walking Dead fan here too. Still not seen series 3 yet.

I also absolutely LOVE Game Of Thrones. Anyone who I explain it too looks at me like it has to be the most geeky show ever: 'there are rival families in a fantasy medieval world battling each other. With Dragons'

Then they watch it and realise its simply awesome  ;D

Watched the first series of Homeland too. Really great show, but I'm a bit worried they are just going to keep it running and running (could have done with resolving in the 1st series for me to be honest).

There aren't really any good British drama shows on anymore. So many good shows are coming out of the US at the moment, that we can't really compete.

For factual shows (history, culture, wildlife docs etc.) the BBC still cannot be beaten though. By anybody  ;D

mah62

Love all stuff with Graham Lineham's name on the writing: Father Ted, IT Crowd, Black Books. Raulduke, I totally agree, Father Ted is the greatest of them all. I remember the last ever episode was broadcast just two days after Dermot Morgan died. I was pissing myself, laughing at the comedy while trying to hold back the tears; very sad.

Anything by Larry David

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Parks and Recreation", Ron Swanson is one of the funniest comic creations for a long time. "there's been a mistake: you appear to have served me the food that my food eats"!

Love the boosh, lots of in jokes and references for the benefit of musos. Howard Moon, "the greatest jazz trumpeter in Yorkshire"!
Pickdropper, If you think that is weird then you should watch "the league of gentlemen" a cross between monty python and hammer horror with a healthy dose of earthy, northern English humour in the mix. Not to everyones taste but I love it.

In a similar dark vein is "Ideal" with Johnny Vegas

also watching:

Big Bang Theory
Spaced
Phone Shop
Vic and Bob (dadaist nutjobs!)
Archer
Family Guy

mah62

.......oh and anything by Armando Ianucci!

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on March 05, 2014, 07:20:00 PM
Degrassi (all of them)

Degrassi is awesome!  ;D

One of my favorite plot arcs is the "Jay and Silent Bob Do Degrassi" 3-episode thing:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

Yeah. Kevin Smith was on the show a bunch Sorta funny really.

Also, one things Canadians should be ashamed of is that Drake came out of that Degrassi show. Sorry bout that.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on March 06, 2014, 11:39:46 AM
Yeah. Kevin Smith was on the show a bunch Sorta funny really.

The character Caitlin Ryan (from the original series, and then also reappearing on TNG) was Smith's inspiration for his Caitlin Bree in Clerks. He was always a massive fan of the original show.

Quote from: jkokuraAlso, one things Canadians should be ashamed of is that Drake came out of that Degrassi show. Sorry bout that.

I actually like Drake. I don't sit around and listen to it, but he's got a few tunes I don't mind. Plus, it's Jimmy Brooks walking again!!!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects