News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrtyska9

The first season of American Horror Story is ok IMO. It seemed like the cheesy reenactments on those ghost story shows. The second season was better but still not great. I'd say its worth watching once but I could see myself watching it more than that.

Richard

Richard

Scruffie

Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 30, 2014, 11:00:52 PM

Quote from: Scruffie on September 30, 2014, 10:51:41 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 30, 2014, 07:14:02 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 30, 2014, 06:57:18 AM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 30, 2014, 06:48:25 AM
Watching:
The Strain: Officially done after this weeks episode. Guillermo, you have dissapointed me for the first time :'(
Damn, was going to start watching that one with my girlfriend tonight, we tried True Detective last night and both fell asleep half way through episode one... obviously that's not giving it a huge chance but, when does it start to get good? After hearing so much about it was expecting something a bit more gripping, so far Fargo seemed better.

I Loved True Detective! The 1st episode was sluggish tho. The Strain was...well it was (for me at least) very poorly executed. good writing, then bad writing, then coincidence after coincidence had me saying really...REALLY. IDK you might like it i'd say give it a try. I usually have a strong opinion when it comes to horror stuff.
Watched some of the first episode of The Strain last night (got distracted for 20 minutes of it) while I didn't think it was great, with some of the acting and writing seeming a bit hammy to me (and perhaps just me but a feeling the budget was being stretched too far at points so some things seemed to suffer and look a bit... tacky) it was a bit more enticing and easier to watch, got me intrigued at least to watch the next couple of episodes to see how it goes.

I'll probably revisit True Detective when i'm on my own, Wood Harrelson gives it some bonus points for a second shot.

What's the verdict on American Horror Story? Heard a lot about that but know almost nothing of it so we might try that tonight... or am I making a huge mistake haha.
Haven't given American horror story a try yet...let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just watched the first episode, not bad! Dig drag a little at points and some of it was just downright odd but acting and production was pretty solid and it had a decent atmosphere. Not a classic but the feel of a half decent ghost story modern horror film, i'd watch it over one of the paranormal activity films.
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Having now finished the first season of American Horror Story... my verdict is very odd and very fucked up, so if that's your thing!

Now started The Leftovers... bit jesusy feeling (and being by the guy that did lost that could become an issue real quick if there's some soppy slow-mo ending in a church) but interested to find out what exactly is actually going on with all the different character arch's. Not something i'd be dying to watch week after week but for binging it serves a purpose and is respectable, Christopher Eccleston is very good in it too IMO.
Works at Lectric-FX

wgc

American horror story is on my list, looks like a big investment, so keep us posted!

Touch of cloth looks great, though I'll have to watch with subtitles. Ironic , no?

What does touch of cloth mean?
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

ggarms

THE KNICK-Plus, Cliff Martinez does the soundtrack, and it is amazing. The juxtaposition of super sweet electronic music and turn of the century operating theatre madness is so cool

juansolo

Quote from: wgc on October 04, 2014, 06:59:35 AM
American horror story is on my list, looks like a big investment, so keep us posted!

Touch of cloth looks great, though I'll have to watch with subtitles. Ironic , no?

What does touch of cloth mean?

From the Urban Dictionary:

Touching cloth

A saying that is used when someone has waited FAR too long to have a shit. It
verbalises the possible condition that the lead end of a shit has protruded beyond the opening of the anus and has made contact with their undergarment.

I need to find a bathroom right now.. I'm TOUCHING CLOTH

See also, Turtles Head...

Though it actually originates from the UK comic Viz (certainly the first time I came across it) from the strip Fat Slags.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

Quote from: ggarms on October 04, 2014, 10:29:45 AM
THE KNICK-Plus, Cliff Martinez does the soundtrack, and it is amazing. The juxtaposition of super sweet electronic music and turn of the century operating theatre madness is so cool

Yeah, I opened this thread to post The Knick. I just caught up and it's pretty good. There's not a lot of plot, but the whole vibe is really interesting and the acting and artwork is great.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

torg

I'm totally addicted to TWD. Season 5th starts 12.10. Many months passed so I'm really excited

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

culturejam

I just watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders last night. I'm digging it, although is it possible my American ears are hearing Sam Neil doing a slightly too exaggerated Irish accent? I mean, he was born in Ireland, but I swear his accent in this show sounds like he's trying.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

I am still loving The Knick and my mother just got me hooked on Broadchurch since her and I were fans of The Killing. I am really enjoying the case shows that are one case per season. Just gives them plenty of time for char development. Have not been impressed with the first to episodes of South Park..

Cody

destro

Gonna give Peaky a shot, but been digging on the Blacklist lately. I didn't think I'd like it from the previews, but it's pretty good!

raulduke

I've heard Peaky Blinders is pretty decent. Cillian Murphy is a really good actor.

I do have an aversion to UK drama though.

When I watch US stuff like TWD, GOT, Boardwalk Empire, True Detective etc. it makes me think how far our own drama has to go to catch up with that kind of quality.

There isn't the budget at the BBC though to be fair.

Scruffie

Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 30, 2014, 07:14:02 AM
The Strain was...well it was (for me at least) very poorly executed. good writing, then bad writing, then coincidence after coincidence had me saying really...REALLY. IDK you might like it i'd say give it a try. I usually have a strong opinion when it comes to horror stuff.
See what you meant now, got to episode 8 and... yeah that's far enough.

Quote from: raulduke on October 06, 2014, 01:45:07 AM
I've heard Peaky Blinders is pretty decent. Cillian Murphy is a really good actor.

When I watch US stuff like TWD, GOT, Boardwalk Empire, True Detective etc. it makes me think how far our own drama has to go to catch up with that kind of quality.

Exactly my feelings so I usually turn to the US... on the plus side though, they poach a lot of our actors anyway.
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on October 06, 2014, 01:45:07 AM

It's all about budget, because we have the actors (mainly in GOT at the moment). Rome was the last one that truly blew me away and stands as my favourite TV series (Band of Brothers a close second). But even that was jaw droppingly expensive and had to rely on HBO money to get made.

Got two staggeringly good seasons out of it though. Based on the fictional lives of two centurions in the Roman Empire that get embroiled in historical events.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk