News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Here are some new things I am plowing through (now that I no longer have cable)

- The Black Mirror (Awesome UK show)
- American Horror Story (seasons 1 + 2 are good 3 is like watching "My So Called Life")
- Gotham (great show love the Commissioner Gordon story)
- Louie (Comical Genius)
- Breaking Bad (on season 2 now, fantastic show)
and probably a couple others. I've been trying not to just power through shows. Netflix is not helping haha

dont-tase-me-bro

I haven't seen The Wire in many years.  That may be due for a re-watch.  The Wire was one of the greatest TV shows ever made.
I thought this would save me money.

Scruffie

Just finished watching all of Fringe... that was a weird one, there's changing the story line and then there's changing the entire program from x-files/CSI to x-files/star trek/walking dead almost. Still, did enjoy it, if only for Walter and the occasional Nimoy cameo at points.
Works at Lectric-FX

GermanCdn

Binge watched the holiday break due to a wicked case of the flu.

SOA Season 7 - ended the way it should have, though it was a little bit on the ridiculous side with the level of violence.  Walt Goggins was stellar.  Vic Mackey being in the last two episodes was a little tongue in cheek.

Covert Affairs Seasons 3, 4, & 5 - a solid show, reminiscent of Alias without the JJ Abrams losing his mind factor.  Piper's on my Hall Pass list.

Franklin and Bash Season 3 - funny filler TV.

Four more days til we're back in the DANGER ZONE!  They better bring back phrasing, it will literally drive me crazy if they don't.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Scruffie

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 04, 2015, 05:51:01 PM
Franklin and Bash Season 3 - funny filler TV.
I was actually kinda sad to find out it got cancelled, it wasn't fantastic TV but it was... comforting, knew what you'd get.

QuoteFour more days til we're back in the DANGER ZONE!  They better bring back phrasing, it will literally drive me crazy if they don't.
What's that other Barry?
Works at Lectric-FX

drolo

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 04, 2015, 01:48:37 PM

- Louie (Comical Genius)

I have been watching that lately too, while building pedals :-)
I am normally not too much into stand up comedy but this is really good. I was quite surprised also that not only he did the acting, writing and producing, but even the editing!

It's at times touching, hilarious, abstract ... really great.

Tremster

My girl and me are in the middle of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Golzow
World's longest running documentary. It starts on the first day of school in 1961, East Germany, and visits the kids from that class every few years to see how their lives go and what they do with it and how they manage things.
Very interesting to see how some happy children turn into not so happy adults, and how some people manage to live good lives and others don't, especially in regards to the breakdown of East Germany, the reunification, their whole lives basically in ruins and/or at a new start.
I can't say though if it's as interesting to non-Germans or people who don't speak the language.

Scruffie

Started Sons of Anarchy, for me, i'm finding it's better than Breaking Bad (a dangerous comment I know...) really enjoying it so far.
Works at Lectric-FX

GermanCdn

Quote from: Scruffie on January 09, 2015, 11:23:54 AM
Started Sons of Anarchy, for me, i'm finding it's better than Breaking Bad (a dangerous comment I know...) really enjoying it so far.

As a whole, it's probably on par with BB.  It's not as consistent though - the great seasons are definitely better than BB, but they do have some stinker seasons as well.  BB was pretty much even throughout the series.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Scruffie

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 09, 2015, 11:39:38 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 09, 2015, 11:23:54 AM

As a whole, it's probably on par with BB.  It's not as consistent though - the great seasons are definitely better than BB, but they do have some stinker seasons as well.  BB was pretty much even throughout the series.
I actually disagree with that (although I haven't finished it yet, currently starting season 4) i've found it more consistent so far, even the lower points and breaking bad I really struggled to get through at points, at season 3 I stopped watching for about a year as I just got a bit... disinterested, a lot of it I was just watching to get it done.

Plus I much prefer the characters (the lack of Skyler and her sister does make that quite easy though).
Works at Lectric-FX

drolo

Quote from: Tremster on January 09, 2015, 10:23:26 AM
My girl and me are in the middle of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Golzow
World's longest running documentary. It starts on the first day of school in 1961, East Germany, and visits the kids from that class every few years to see how their lives go and what they do with it and how they manage things.
Very interesting to see how some happy children turn into not so happy adults, and how some people manage to live good lives and others don't, especially in regards to the breakdown of East Germany, the reunification, their whole lives basically in ruins and/or at a new start.
I can't say though if it's as interesting to non-Germans or people who don't speak the language.
Made me think of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_%28film_series%29
Follows a family during 3 different periods between 1919 and 2000. I only watched the 2nd series taking place in the 60ties in Munich. I found them incredibly well made, each episode being more like an actual movie than a part of a series. Great quality. I have been trying to get my wife to watch the other 2 series with me but not speaking German she got a bit bored.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Scruffie on January 09, 2015, 11:49:45 AM
I actually disagree with that (although I haven't finished it yet, currently starting season 4) i've found it more consistent so far, even the lower points and breaking bad I really struggled to get through at points, at season 3 I stopped watching for about a year as I just got a bit... disinterested, a lot of it I was just watching to get it done.

Plus I much prefer the characters (the lack of Skyler and her sister does make that quite easy though).
[/quote]

Yeah, I could understand that.  It's been years since I watched the first few SOA seasons, I literally chose to keep watching Season 1 as opposed to sleeping for like 3 days straight.  I thought the whole Irish thing was a bit of a let down after Season 1.  Sutter is really good at cathartic season enders though, as well as a few things you just never saw coming.

I always thought the strength in BB was the consistent de-evolution of Bryan Cranston's character, from a guy who was doing the wrong thing in order to try and provide for his family to a guy who finally accepted his position in life as a drug kingpin, and the counterpoint from Aaron Paul, going from a burn out to a guy who wanted to escape the life no matter the cost.  WW was a far better character than any single character on SOA.

Scruffie

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 09, 2015, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 09, 2015, 11:49:45 AM

Yeah, I could understand that.  It's been years since I watched the first few SOA seasons, I literally chose to keep watching Season 1 as opposed to sleeping for like 3 days straight.  I thought the whole Irish thing was a bit of a let down after Season 1.  Sutter is really good at cathartic season enders though, as well as a few things you just never saw coming.

I always thought the strength in BB was the consistent de-evolution of Bryan Cranston's character, from a guy who was doing the wrong thing in order to try and provide for his family to a guy who finally accepted his position in life as a drug kingpin, and the counterpoint from Aaron Paul, going from a burn out to a guy who wanted to escape the life no matter the cost.  WW was a far better character than any single character on SOA.
[/quote]
I was the same with season 1, binged it all during work and night, first episode I didn't think I was going to get in to it but that changed fast.

The Irish thing, I was fine with it in Charming but when they went to Ireland I was a bit meh but it was still good (the white supremacists though was gritty and truly disturbing at points and very engaging, not a massive fan of Rollins but he played that part very well). And some of the big double bluffs and resolutions are just spectacular as you say, I never saw the end of season 3 coming but was glad it played out how it did.

WW I agree as a solo performer was of course fantastic, probably the only reason other than Gus (brilliant and interesting character) I stuck it through, although his character change at points felt... forced? Not an acting thing but just the consistency of writing, too much swings and roundabouts.

I agree stand alone WW was superior carrying the show and Bryan was just fantastic (Aaron Paul while good and I see your point, I never engaged with him enough, he was too erratic and even neurotic at points, his character didn't 'sit' that great with me, once again, not the acting, the show) but the ensemble of SOA (despite not being as real) more than makes up for it, at some points characters go off course a bit but they always seem to come back, I think they're very aware when they're pushing things the wrong way. Also, gotta say I love Opie.

They're both great, but I find the flow of SOA better and if I was going to re-watch one I know which i'd pick.

One final point, while the setting of Charming may not be as real I definitely prefer it... Breaking Bad was certainly more real but TV is escapism to a point and i'm more a long for the ride (pun intended) so far in Charming.
Works at Lectric-FX

jubal81

Just watched the first 3 episodes of 'The Last Man on Earth' and it's pretty damn brilliant.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

raulduke

Watching Vikings series 3 and I am enjoying it for what it is.

Ragnar has already nutted someone so its off to a good start!