Main Menu

TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Started by culturejam, February 25, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

THE BOYS - Amazon Prime

You can thank me later  8)

Muadzin

I heard the Boys went woke. These days I only watch classic shows, currently rewatching Babylon 5 again, it's effin' awesome watching a show that's not preaching at me.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Muadzin on April 09, 2021, 07:15:31 AM
I heard the Boys went woke.

If it has, it must be with the yet-to-be-released Season 3. The first 2 seasons were awesome!

GermanCdn

Quote from: jubal81 on April 08, 2021, 06:17:56 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on April 08, 2021, 04:19:25 PM
Yellowstone.  So good.  So many people that need taking to the train station.  Apparently Rip is now on Bonnie's hall pass list.  Guess that means I get Beth.

I tried this one and didn't make it through the pilot - just got too bored. Maybe I'll try to push through to get more into it.

I don't remember the first episode that much, but yeah, power through.  It's worth it.  I'd put it up there with SOA, Breaking Bad, and the non sucking seasons of Dexter
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Willybomb

QuoteI heard the Boys went woke

Hardly.  If people are complaining about the early sexual harassment subplot then I'm guessing they haven't read the comic because what happened to Starlight in that was much, much, much worse and it's been toned WAAAAAAAY back in the series.

Edit:  Ok.  Because I was interested in how people might possible be upset at some "wokeness", I thought I'd have a google.  This is my first hit:

https://filmgoblin.com/reviews/woke-report-did-we-just-get-conned-by-the-boys/

Here's my rebuttal:
1.  Are trigger warnings at the start of an episode REALLY that much of an issue for people?
2.  Hughie IS a weak beta male in the comic too.  He stays that way even when he gets powered up thanks to Compound V.  Lol at complaining that the main character is a "beta" or whatever these people spend their time thinking about.  The main character needs an arc, not perfection from the outset.
3.  Maybe fair point.  I'm not a fan of including sexual preferences just to tick a box: ref The Rise of Skywalker with it's .5sec lesbian kiss.  I mean, what was the point if not for some tokenistic box ticking?
4.  Ok, yep, the girl is powered and the others aren't.  I think the rest will be powered at some stage as part of the story arc.  We've also gotten an actual backstory for the girl that was never given in the comic, iirc, so...
5.  Complaining about male nudity.... insecure much?  Ok, maybe fair point.
6.  This is a big deal for these people? 
7.  Again?  I suppose they think Butcher should have been able to hit MM's mum back, because, you know, she hit him
8.  Ok, maybe a trigger warning could have been included for this episode. Fair's fair.
9.  Pretty certain that's how it was in the comic too. 
10.  This happens in real life....

Genderswaps.... there's a reason for Elizabeth Banks being put in that role, acting as a mother figure for Homelander.

Raceswap:  Frenchie is still called Frenchie, and the Israeli actor is playing a Frenchman.  Why do I think there's some anti-semiticism going on with this complaint?  Something something jews taking over Hollywood?

The poster with the biohazard symbol over The Deep....  these people complaining about "wokeness" really are a sensitive bunch...  Reading the comments on that page pretty much confirms that.

I've heard that said about Watchmen, but I'm guessing that's because some people have issues with a black female superhero/vigilante as a main character.

Willybomb

Anyway, I'm working my way through WandaVision while running on the treadmill at the gym.

matmosphere

Quote from: Muadzin on April 09, 2021, 07:15:31 AM
I heard the Boys went woke. These days I only watch classic shows, currently rewatching Babylon 5 again, it's effin' awesome watching a show that's not preaching at me.

Odd, I remember thinking that show was kind of preachy when it was first on. I remember it being somewhat controversial for some reason. it's good to know it holds up, maybe I'll give it a shot now. I loved sci-fi back then but I think it came out around when I got a car and some more freedom, less tv after that.

I don't really like TV, tried the boys and couldn't get into it

jubal81

I'm rewatching Barry on HBO. Forgot how great it is. NoHo Hank is definitely one of my favorite TV characters of all time.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Thewintersoldier

I'm starting the new season of the handmaid's tale now that I have a larger chunk to consume. It takes a lot to offend me, and that show does on many fundamental levels but in a good way. The character development is great as well.
Who the hell is Bucky?

davent

Quote from: mjg on March 07, 2021, 11:39:40 PM
We're working our way through season 2 of Umbrella Academy.  Liking it so far.

At the moment camped out shooting around my daughter's place. According to her most of last night with a spotlight shining in her bedroom window.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

QuoteI'm starting the new season of the handmaid's tale now that I have a larger chunk to consume.

We've kept up to date with it but haven't started this latest season because it's starting to get a bit repetitive.  How many opportunities to leave does June want to pass up?

TeleCrunch

The Nevers - Steampunk/Fantasy/Sci-Fi that's way better than critics are reviewing. I think the Whedon stain is on this one, because I get the feeling that the critics haven't even watched it.

Mare of Easttown - A dark but decent True Detective set in my neck of the woods - SNL did a great spoof.

Jupiter's Legacy - Sometimes it seems like a live-action Incredibles, but has some of the noir grit that the awesome Watchmen series had. Heroes and/or Villains.
No Squid Pro Quo

CodeMonk

I've been binging various shows on Amazon Prime the last few weeks.
Currently on Farscape.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: Willybomb on May 13, 2021, 04:06:40 PM
QuoteI'm starting the new season of the handmaid's tale now that I have a larger chunk to consume.

We've kept up to date with it but haven't started this latest season because it's starting to get a bit repetitive.  How many opportunities to leave does June want to pass up?

You should definitely start watching the new season!
I just watched the new episode last night and it was pretty awesome!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.