News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Machine

Started by night-B, March 21, 2011, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Quote from: night-butterfly on March 21, 2011, 11:08:21 AM
Here's my recently finished machine. As a nine inch nails fan I named it the "Pretty hate machine".
First time I'm using a madbean fabbed board, and it's really a pleasure to solder!
It worked perfectly once I've finished the soldering.
I love that cool effect I'm now using with my kokbox. It adds so much gain, grain... Perfect for grunge, industrial, or boosting your solos! A unique sound under the foot.
Sorry for the poor pics using my iphone.
Thanks Madbean for such great PCBs  :D

Awesome pedal!  I have a pink flanger... its my statement of self assuredness ;)

Quote from: Om_Audio on March 23, 2011, 04:17:39 PM
The wrist strap to computer chassis I think assumes the power supply is connected (3 prong grounded) which is connected to your house ground.

I have been grounding myself with a wrist band though my amp... (Has an earth pin) Basically plug the guitar cable into the amp and cable into an alloy mounted socket on my proto board which I clip on to.  Not a pro setup but works good... I've had no problems even when handling a particularly sensitive 4001 CMOS chip by hand for a non pedal project.  You are earthed through the guitar cable>amp>ground

night-B

This is a good way to do, but I dont own a wristband, so i touch the amp chassis before taking the tranny in my hand. Think I'll try wearing surgical latex gloves in critical moments  :P

bigmufffuzzwizz

I talked to my neighbor who is an EE and he told me an amp would work if it has the round ground pin, but not to always trust old vintage amps because the ground could have been lifted to help eliminate hum. He said my computer would work for grounding, just gotta touch one of the metal screws in the back that are attached to the chassis itself, NOT THE PAINT!  ;D
So if you use an amp you wanna verify that the ground is attached. And he also said the house must be properly grounded which I'm not to sure about in my case  ::)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Oh dear.  Get a socket tester man... I got one that cost $20 and tells you whether the socket is earthed or out of phase... You should test all your power outlets if you have any doubt on the wiring in your house

Om_Audio

Sent via soup cans and string.

night-B

I haven't checked my house yet. The wall socket is different in France and I haven't found a tester for less than 80$... I'll think twice before buying  :-\

mishman

What kind of effect machine is? Is it a booster? I didn't understood the description on the official site...

night-B

This is effect is unique. There's a boost in signal (the pedal does include some Supe Hard On stages), it adds a lot of dynamic, the sound is less articulate and a bit harsh. If you like grunge or industrial metal, you'll sure find it to your taste  ;)
I'm pretty sure Robin Finck of Nine inch nails use it live.
The effect is to be used with a distortion or a fuzz, not on clean sound.
Watch this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb643KAtd1U

bigmufffuzzwizz

I've noticed this effect does do a lot of stuff, but the most unique feature to me is how it causes notes to bloom. Sorta like an old Superlead or cranked up tube amp. With double stop bends this thing is the gnarly!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

mishman

Ok, thanks:)
And how about noise? I think that distortion+distortion give many noise...

night-B

I don't have to bother with  noise actually. Using shielded wire is not necessary with it  ;)