News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A bloviator AND an EQ in the same box is redundant? Yes?

Started by thesameage, February 27, 2014, 07:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Would it basically be redundant to have a bloviator and a 6 shooter EQ in the same box? Isn't the bloviator basically a 2 band eq?

atreidesheir

The bloviator selects certain frequencies, makes them slightly out of phase and thus seem enhanced.
I would say the six shooter is a more precise instrument.  I have built both and both are useful.  It may be redundant, but sounds like fun to have both a stomp away.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

thesameage

It seems that the bloviator would be good for quiet home practice while the 6 shooter would be better for live playing.

hoodoo

Just my opinion, but the bloviator to me is an always on effect, at least in my rigs, makes a big difference to my ears. An EQ is something that is turned on and off, eg, so solos POP. You should be able to shape your tone with your amp and then kick on the EQ when required. Having said that, there's no rules mate, build 'em both and decide for yourself  ;)

thesameage

Quote from: hoodoo on March 06, 2014, 10:12:09 PM
Just my opinion, but the bloviator to me is an always on effect, at least in my rigs, makes a big difference to my ears. An EQ is something that is turned on and off, eg, so solos POP. You should be able to shape your tone with your amp and then kick on the EQ when required. Having said that, there's no rules mate, build 'em both and decide for yourself  ;)

That's an interesting take. In this build, which is for bass, I was actually going to put the EQ on a switch rather than a stomp as I was planning on having it on most of the time. For me, at least, it's tricky to get just the right bass sound with a band/different amps and I was thinking of it less as an effect and more as a presence device.

madbean

Think of the Bloviator as an enhancement to whatever you run into it. So, different EQ settings can be accentuated with it or not. Actually, an EQ and Bloviator type circuit in one box would be a nice build, although sometimes it's better to have your EQ in different places in your signal chain. If you did it with separate ins and outs for each effect...that would be slick.

thesameage

Quote from: madbean on March 07, 2014, 06:10:02 AM
Think of the Bloviator as an enhancement to whatever you run into it. So, different EQ settings can be accentuated with it or not. Actually, an EQ and Bloviator type circuit in one box would be a nice build, although sometimes it's better to have your EQ in different places in your signal chain. If you did it with separate ins and outs for each effect...that would be slick.

My thought now (and I have almost everything to do it--and Curtis has given me a lot of advice) is this lineup:
In>Afterlife>Effects loop with Blend>6ShooterEQ>Fatpants>Out

I have a big enough box to include the Bloviator... but if I did put it in, where would I include it?

The point of this project is to have a nice, basic, tone box for bass that helps me to dial in a nice tone at home at low volumes, at the practice space on my amp, and on other people's amps.

DutchMF

Put in the Bloviator last, so that everything can benefit from its special tone sauce. I've been contemplating something similar, but with a compressor and buffer in there as well.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

thesameage

Afterlife is a compressor  :)

Seriously, though, I like the idea of the Fatpants upping my headroom with the 18V charge pump. Would then running things through the 9V Bloviator ruin that advantage?