News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Synth-DIY -- how to start?

Started by alanp, March 01, 2014, 09:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I've always been interested in analog synths, but the costs involved are scary. The full kit for the ASM-2 is something like a grand in AUD from Elby Designs, the PCB alone costs a hundred bucks.

Also, how do people deal with the front panels? The pots and jacks (which, from what I can tell, are almost never PCB mounted, meaning 'orrible amounts of pot wiring.)

Any synth-diy'ers here got any tips?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

I think frequency central might be a place to look for some ideas.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lars

A website called "Papareil Synth Labs" also has some great resources and kits available.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

peterc

yusynth.com had PCB designs for a nice set of modules but the site changed somewhat. I have it archived.....

They have a good list of links to various projects here:
http://yusynth.net/index_en.php?&arg=6

Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

Strategy

Alan,
the key is starting small. I got started by a friend who was etching a lot of pcb's. also if you figure that at a grand, you are basically getting a synth that would be $2500-$3000 commercially, there you have it. Also, don't get kits. In the US I've found the kit markup to be silly, AND I don't like pcb mounted much so I tend to do my own control layouts and like to pick those parts myself. If you source the parts I think you can save a lot of money.

also bear in mind you only need a few synth modules to do very crazy stuff, so something like the ASM is sort of over the top depending on your desires. do you want to start with just a basic synth? PAIA Fatman is amazing sounding actually. If you want to go modular look at CGS but then source the parts yourself instead of buying parts kits from a 3rd party.

Strategy

alanp

Think I might go with the Frequency Central stuff, but do my own faceplates. I'd prefer to go with 6.5mm, not 3.5mm jacks. Plus Rick is a great guy.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Strategy

Rick's projects will be great. He has pcb's you can buy AND etch your own versions, they are nicely in between "building block" modules as well as having 'bells and whistles'.

raulduke

I'm getting started in modular, and have bought some of ricks (frequency Central) PCB's and front panels. Can't go wrong for the price!

lincolnic

I wish I didn't just learn about the Fatman...now I feel like I need it.

alanp

The Fatman uses V/Hz, not V/octave, so it's not compatible with Moog-type synths...
- Terry Pratchett
My website

jubal81

I always thought the stuff at Music from outer Space looked great. He even has a guitar synth project that looks really cool.
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lincolnic

Quote from: alanp on March 03, 2014, 08:47:23 PM
The Fatman uses V/Hz, not V/octave, so it's not compatible with Moog-type synths...

I can't afford Moog stuff anyway, so that's probably fine!

lincolnic

Quote from: jubal81 on March 03, 2014, 09:13:02 PM
I always thought the stuff at Music from outer Space looked great. He even has a guitar synth project that looks really cool.

Didn't someone here build one of these fairly recently?

Leevibe

Quote from: jubal81 on March 03, 2014, 09:13:02 PM

This. And I think the prices seem reasonable too.

peAk

Quote from: alanp on March 01, 2014, 09:09:48 PM
I've always been interested in analog synths, but the costs involved are scary. The full kit for the ASM-2 is something like a grand in AUD from Elby Designs, the PCB alone costs a hundred bucks.

Also, how do people deal with the front panels? The pots and jacks (which, from what I can tell, are almost never PCB mounted, meaning 'orrible amounts of pot wiring.)

Any synth-diy'ers here got any tips?

Let me know what you end up with cause I may follow your lead if it's not too expensive. I want to start a synth as well.