News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Synth-DIY -- how to start?

Started by alanp, March 01, 2014, 09:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

You are building up quite a collection. How big is your rack now? I'm trying to come up with a way to do this in a smaller desktop kinda format. I'm not too successful so far. I did see a commercial synth online that was using breadboard style jumper wires as a patch system, that might be a good step towards miniaturization. Still, it's got to be way more fun to have the wall of full size switches and knobs to play with.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

Found some ceramic 1n5 caps, and the steinerparker VCF boards are now verified (only bug is that the resonance control is backwards... always something, but this is fixable with a cut trace and wire :) )

So another Front Panel Express order is underway. I'm a sick, sick man.

But.

This is a major but.

If I've designed this right, then these modules (EFM 3046 VCO, and YuSynth Steiner Parker VCF) will not need ANY wiring done, just mount the populated boards on the front panels :D hell yeah!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peterc

I like the sound of that! No wires, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am busy converting a pair of Neve modules that involve 3 deck/23 way Elma switches, nearly drove me dilly....

'Scuse the cross posting.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=56638.0;topicseen

Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

alanp

Random ramblings... seemed the best thread.

I might have a go at populating another phase engine board from my Heavy Water Prophecysound Infinitphase board sets, and seeing how well it will work shoe-horned in as a synth module (LFO to be patched in, not on-board.) It does run on +/- 15V, after all :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

'nother random ramble, getting a couple boards fabbed. Mix of Ken Stone's CGS60 Stomp Box Adaptor, plus Harry Bissell's Low Ripple Fast Response Envelope Filter, plus Yusynth's Comparator to provide Gate and Trigger as well as envelope CV.

I really hope it works.
- Terry Pratchett
My website