News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4 Horsemen - Refractors

Started by Jabulani Jonny, March 02, 2014, 11:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 03, 2014, 11:47:45 PM
My rant was'nt pointing anyone in particular, all my excuses if it looked like i was adressing this message to Marvin, it's not the case.

If an individual changes some of the values to fine tune the circuit to what he thinks makes it closer to the original, that's part of the interpretation and the individual perception of what he hears. Just like components, we as human also have our tolerance that piles up and gives our opinion about a said subject. None of us hear the same.

These circuits being low voltage, low current, we would need to have an intense awkward layout if based on the same schematic to make a real measurable difference in sound... ...other than the component tolerance piling up.

I probably posted this rant in the wrong forum, this was'nt the place to discuss about that because it could go on and on.

Still is, that i'm curious and that i like to be proven wrong simply because you acquire new knowledge after. Once Brian releases is new Sunking layout, i'm willing to send one of my Chimaera pcb, purchase a Refraktor and SunkingII with 3 complete set of component with all equal measured pots and diodes and send that whole package to someone who has the equipement to compare and measure the 3 layouts.

That way, science will speak by itself.

Rej

If you really want to get funky, every component on each board would be socketed and then you could swap the same parts from one board to another and remove that variable from the equation. 

You know, for science.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 04, 2014, 12:54:44 AM
Absolutely cool and a great discussion.  BTW, did you guys see those badass overdrives at the start of this thread?!  I mean...yeah baby!  ;D ;D   ::)

Indeed, beautiful builts, reason why i think i started this discussion in the wrong thread...  ::)

Quote from: pickdropper on March 04, 2014, 12:56:32 AM

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 03, 2014, 11:47:45 PM
My rant was'nt pointing anyone in particular, all my excuses if it looked like i was adressing this message to Marvin, it's not the case.

If an individual changes some of the values to fine tune the circuit to what he thinks makes it closer to the original, that's part of the interpretation and the individual perception of what he hears. Just like components, we as human also have our tolerance that piles up and gives our opinion about a said subject. None of us hear the same.

These circuits being low voltage, low current, we would need to have an intense awkward layout if based on the same schematic to make a real measurable difference in sound... ...other than the component tolerance piling up.

I probably posted this rant in the wrong forum, this was'nt the place to discuss about that because it could go on and on.

Still is, that i'm curious and that i like to be proven wrong simply because you acquire new knowledge after. Once Brian releases is new Sunking layout, i'm willing to send one of my Chimaera pcb, purchase a Refraktor and SunkingII with 3 complete set of component with all equal measured pots and diodes and send that whole package to someone who has the equipement to compare and measure the 3 layouts.

That way, science will speak by itself.

Rej

If you really want to get funky, every component on each board would be socketed and then you could swap the same parts from one board to another and remove that variable from the equation. 

You know, for science.

+1

That would indeed be the ultimate. ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

billstein

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 04, 2014, 12:54:44 AM
Absolutely cool and a great discussion.  BTW, did you guys see those badass overdrives at the start of this thread?!  I mean...yeah baby!  ;D ;D   ::)

Well played my friend... Well played indeed. :)

hylandren

Quote from: Jabulani JonnyI'm not letting the ET run down the sides. I'm babysitting it and wiping any runs.
Forgive my ignorance as I have yet to muster the courage to try Envirotex.
So you are in essence only Envirotexing the tops of the enclosures? If so, how are you keeping the edges so neat when you wipe the runs from the sides?
I ask because those look stunning and appear to have Envirotex on the sides as well....

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: hylandren on March 04, 2014, 06:52:26 PM
Quote from: Jabulani JonnyI'm not letting the ET run down the sides. I'm babysitting it and wiping any runs.
Forgive my ignorance as I have yet to muster the courage to try Envirotex.
So you are in essence only Envirotexing the tops of the enclosures? If so, how are you keeping the edges so neat when you wipe the runs from the sides?
I ask because those look stunning and appear to have Envirotex on the sides as well....

I followed Juansolo's great Envirotex tutorial here:  http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/finishing.html

I bought the enclosures from Pedal Parts Plus, applied a waterslide decal, then topped with just enough ET to cover the top.  I used a wooden popsicle stick to get it to the edges of the enclosure and cover the decal edge.  At that point I took a paper towel with some Goof Off or Oops, some kind of solvent, to continue to wipe around the edges if there were any runs.  That's the hard part.  You have to babysit those runs for about an hour.  Going back and looking at each enclosure and wiping up any runs.  After that the ET thickens up enough and doesn't run any more.  Then you just set them to the side for 3-4 days while you populate the PCB, etc. 

Since I used high gloss enclosures for these builds it really looks like the ET just blends in to the enclosure.  I used some anodized enclosures for three previous builds and they looked cool too.  Give it a shot.  I love how the finish ends up and the tops are just about indestructible. 
Jonathan